Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help with possible USB 2.0 Problems

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Oops_06_2008

Oops_06_2008

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 AM

Posted 10 January 2009 - 11:39 AM

A few months ago, my system decided that it wanted to give me some problems and I need a little help trying to narrow down the problem and fix it. Here are the basics. If I'm missing something, please ask. I Running Windows XP Home on an ASUS P5WB Deluxe motherboard. The Basic problem that I'm having is that my computer CPU utilization goes to 100% after it's been on for 30 minutes plus. I can no longer run the amount of programs that I previously did. I have an Intel Pentium D CPU at 3.2GHZ.

Anyway, one day my wireless network card compeltely disappeared and I could not get on the internet. My wireless network card is USB driven. Also, my wireless Keyboard and mouse no longer worked either. Also USB Driven. The moment I went into the device manager and disabled the Intel® 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB2 Enhanced host Controller - 27CC, device, my wireless network card was now showing and I could use my wireless keyboard and mouse again. Note: I could use my wireless mouse and Keyboard when I went into bios. In any case, my thought is that the problem with the USB 2 device continues to slow down my computer as I only put a band aid on it. Please help. I'm sure there will be more questions so please ask.

Additional Questions:
1.) Is there something I can go into or use that will tell me what is causing my computer to use 100% of the CPU? The task manager usually indicates the "system Idle"

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 10 January 2009 - 12:06 PM

Doing the reproducible that you did makes it appear that your USB driver is out-of-date. This means that you need to update it. If a Windows Update caused your computer to do this, then go to Windows Update and search for hardware updates.

If you have problems finding an update for your driver then let me know and I can help you find it!

#3 Oops_06_2008

Oops_06_2008
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2009 - 03:25 PM

I was searching the internet and found that Bios has a USB 2.0 setting of which I disabled. After this, the device manager no longer shows the Intel® 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB2 Enhanced host Controller - 27CC and it seems my problems are now solved. At one point in time, I may have changed that setting to see what would have happened, but I didn't think so. What I don't know is if I should enable that setting and search for the drivers. I would have thought that any updates done to the OS would have included modified drivers for USB and USB 2 given that everyone has USB. What I'm not sure of is if USB 2 is hardware or software driven, meaning Is USB universal for USB and USB 2.0? or is there specific hardware. If ther eis specific hardware, how can you tell through the device manager etc.

What are your thoughts on what I should do?
1.) Leave Bios alone and don't enable USB 2.0?

or

2.) Change Bios back to enable 2.0 and update the driver?

#4 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 10 January 2009 - 03:29 PM

Option 2.) Change BIOS back to enable 2.0 and update the driver. Otherwise these devices will seem to function improperly. So go ahead and re-enable it.

You are welcome for the last response. :thumbsup:

#5 Oops_06_2008

Oops_06_2008
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 AM

Posted 10 January 2009 - 07:57 PM

UNfortunately I will need some help finding the driver. I can't seem to be able to.
Again, Thanks again for your help!

#6 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 10 January 2009 - 09:16 PM

I just got word from Intel that there is not a new driver for your device. As long as you had enabled the USB 2.0 service, you are set to go. Your issue has been resolved. :thumbsup:

Reason for edit: typo

Edited by Jay-P VIP, 10 January 2009 - 09:16 PM.

#7 Oops_06_2008

Oops_06_2008
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2009 - 10:18 PM

Thanks for your help, but when if I enable the USB 2.0 in Bios and enable the Controller, all my USB devices don't work and my wirless device also goes away...?

#8 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 10 January 2009 - 10:52 PM

You have a corrupt driver after all. Uninstall the device from your system via the device manager.

Restart your computer. If information pops up about installing the driver for the device, then do so. If nothing pops up, then go and get the drivers.

RADARSYNC Driver Database links
Link 1
Link 2

If you have any trouble doing the steps above then let me know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users