Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ClamWin Antivirus

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,308 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 10 January 2009 - 11:16 AM

Has anyone positive/negative experiences with ClamWin antivirus? I use it for some two months, double checked its efficiency with other scanners (on my pc and online) and it seems to work fine. I am aware of the fact that it is a bit slow, but that doesnt bother me, because it runs very light.

Thank you for your reactions!

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 10 January 2009 - 11:22 AM

Overall I have not had any issues. It is very good, open source wise. It tops most other free anti-virus products. Paid products can beat this though. To bring it to plain terms, it is best for basic, free protection.

#3 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2009 - 01:21 PM

It is one antivirus protection method I had considered using especially when I read

ClamWin is a Free Antivirus program for Microsoft Windows 98/Me/2000/XP/2003 and Vista.

until I then read from http://www.clamwin.com/

about its 'protection' method which I beleive is well-worth noting

Please note that ClamWin Free Antivirus does not include an on-access real-time scanner. You need to manually scan a file in order to detect a virus or spyware.

one may then question..IS it continually protecting you or will you only find an infection if you physically run a scan :flowers:

I personally prefer a Real Time scanner permanently fully active which Clamwin's one appears to NOT be :thumbsup:

#4 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 10 January 2009 - 02:03 PM

Isn't Clamwin just an On-demand scanner that offers no Real-time protection?

If an On-demand Antivirus is what you are looking for, maybe you might be interested in a-squared Free which now incorporates Ikarus' Antivirus Engine, which has much better detection rates than Clamwin.

Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

#5 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 10 January 2009 - 02:18 PM

-This is true. Very nice observation. What I didn't say earlier was exactly what RedDawn just clarified. Thank you. I absolutely agree. If you are looking for real-time protection, go for something else. :thumbsup:

Remove unnecessary quote. ~ OB

Edited by Orange Blossom, 10 January 2009 - 02:26 PM.

#6 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Topic Starter

• 61,308 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 10 January 2009 - 03:18 PM

Sorry, I forgot to mention, I am not interested in realtime protection, I wanted only an extra on-demand scanner.

Red Dawn, thank you for your suggestion. I will give A-squared a try as well.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

#7 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 10 January 2009 - 03:24 PM

right on! I need to test a-squared as well.

#8 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Topic Starter

• 61,308 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2009 - 04:21 AM

Okay, I just scanned my system with A-squared free. It found one quarantined worm and 4 files that are really no malware. They give additional information if you click on the malware-names, well, they told me that what they found looked a bit suspicious, but that I have to be sure before deleting these files.

It works fine for me, but I would not recommend this for users without good PC-knowledge.

Edited by elise025, 11 January 2009 - 04:22 AM.

regards, Elise

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users