Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Device problems

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ChronoXIII

ChronoXIII

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 10 January 2009 - 08:59 AM

I reformatted my computer yesterday, and after reformatting I cannot connect to the Internet, play music and videos. I opened the device manager and found that some devices are not installed properly and need to be re-installed, and when I try to install it the "required software" is not found and the installation failed. The drivers include "PCI device, SM Bus Controller, unknown device, Video Controller (VGA Compatible), Other PCI Bridge Device" "Unknown device" is the name of the device in the manager. I also remembered that there was a Nvidia driver in the manager's list but after reformatting the computer, the device is missing.

Enclosed is the message when I try to install the device : Found New Hardware Wizard - Cannot install this hardware, the hardware was not installed because the wizard cannot find the necessary software.

My XP version is SP2 and when I first had the computer, the OS is XP SP1. Hope these information helps.
Thanks in advance and I hope for a swift reply.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 10 January 2009 - 09:39 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

Seems that you need to install some drivers.

How to update a Windows hardware driver - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-update-a-windows-hardware-driver/

Installing Hardware Drivers - http://www.optimizingpc.com/install/hardwaredrivers.html

System manufacturer and model? If custom-built, motherboard manufacturer and model?

Louis

#3 ChronoXIII

ChronoXIII
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2009 - 02:05 AM

So I suppose that I had to download drivers and install it? Forgive me for being cynical, but is it that simple?
And the "missing" Nvidia device, how do I make my computer to detect it?
PLus, how can I make a Local Area Connection? I can't go to the web-based modem interface, much less go online.
Anyway, thanks for the info.

Enclosed are some data I've taken from CPUID:
Processor : AMD Athlon 64 x2 3800+
Motherboard : ASUSTek Computer Inc.
M2NPV-MX
Chipset: NVIDIA Ge Force 6150
NVIDIA nForce 410/430

#4 Nikas

Nikas

• Members
  • 650 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2009 - 03:43 AM

The easiest way to install driver would be from the CDs that you have gotten from Day 1. Those disc should include the drivers that is needed.

Alternative, you can download those drivers from manufacturers website and install the latest drivers.

#5 ChronoXIII

ChronoXIII
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2009 - 08:30 AM

I've downloaded the nVidia Driver so now I can connect to the Internet. But the sounds are still missing.
In the Device Manager, two "Other devices" are still uninstalled, that is the "PCI Device" and the "Unknown Device".
Thanks for the info and I hope that BC will continue to guide me to fully restore my computer .

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,112 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2009 - 09:32 AM

Well...see if all your basic system functions (video, sound, networking, USB) are functioning correctly.

If they are, then you don't need those particular drivers.

Many, if not all, systems still come with dialup modems installed. If you have not installed the drivers for it, then it may be reflected as one of the two devices still requiring drivers (unless it's disabled in the BIOS).

If you have any additional items installed via PCI card on your system, then it may be reflected.

May not apply, but worth reading, IMO: How to prevent and remove 'phantom' devices - http://windowssecrets.com/comp/070405 and More ways to prevent phantom devices - WindowsSecrets.com - http://windowssecrets.com/2007/04/12/02-Mo...phantom-devices

If your drivers CD has an autorun/autoinstall feature (most of mine do), then just insert it and run it. It may reflect your system drivers and only install those which need to be installed. This may not work, since drivers CDs seem to vary in how they operate.

Louis

#7 ChronoXIII

ChronoXIII
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2009 - 09:49 AM

MY sounds are still not working. When playing a music file, an error message appears:

Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device. There may not be a sound device installed on your computer, it may be in use by another program, or it may not be functioning properly.

System sounds are also not heard.

I do not have any driver CDs becuase this computer is not mine, it is given to me by relatives some time back. Now I cannot reach them as they moved. I guess the problem is with the sound card, but I cannot find, or rather don't know how to find the identity of the sound card so I can download the driver from the manufacturer's site. I'm using Everest here, so anyone an tell me where do they display information of the sound card?

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,112 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2009 - 10:30 AM

http://support.asus.com/download/download....;model=M2NPV-MX

All XP drivers for that board, I would download/install the audio drivers.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users