Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Confusion about restoring entire computer

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 claneksi

claneksi

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 10 January 2009 - 08:57 AM

Sorry if this question looks very silly or something... because my English is very limited

When using a Complete PC Restore with Vista, does it erase the entire HARD DRIVE (all partition will be erased and repartitioned) or PARTITION (C only)? I need to know if I'm going to unnecessarily lose all my data in partition D.

I have a copy of Vista Ultimate and made a backup of drive C (system) only, and put the image file in D which is in the same harddrive. (i don't have dvd burner or external harddrive)

Now I want to use that image to restore my copy of Vista. But there's warning that the drive would be formatted and repartitioned. It seemed confused on the difference between the two so I wanted to check here and see if anyone knows...

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 10 January 2009 - 11:59 AM

Find more information here. This is a great BC tutorial which helps a lot with Complete PC Restore. If you have any problems, please come back here and reply. I will help after you review the tutorial.

#3 claneksi

claneksi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2009 - 07:54 PM

Actually I have read that tutorial before, it's just i'm so stupid that i still have this confusion.... :huh:

Maybe I have to try it myself with extra hardrive... so that I can certain about this matter, without losing my data...

Thanks for your reply! :huh:

#4 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 10 January 2009 - 08:40 PM

You are welcome for the reply, but the question is...is your problem resolved?

#5 claneksi

claneksi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 11 January 2009 - 01:35 AM

Yah, according to my friends, it seems the restore system also erase the other partition as well... So i will backup my data to other harddrive first then restoring my computer...
Do other backup/restore system like norton ghost do this thing to? erase other partition on same harddrive?

#6 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 11 January 2009 - 06:57 AM

If you do not have any more problems, I will not recommend you do any further changes. Remember: "If it isn't broke, then don't fix it!" :huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users