Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spyware Guard 2009

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 geotan

geotan

• Members
  • 374 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 10 January 2009 - 02:18 AM

Hello again to all you Gurus.
If this is duplicated, I apologise, but I lost my connection. Have checked but cannot find it listed.
Running Windows XP Home.
I have suddenly had a programme called Spyware Guard appear on my computer. I have NOT downloaded it. It appears on my screen about every 5 minutes. It is not listed in Add/Remove Programmes. I have been into programme Files and tried to delete it from there but I get a message Access Denied. I cannot even delete it using Unlocker.
I cannot run Super Anti Spyware nor Malwarebytes. Nor can I do a system restore nor can I reboot my computer, I have to manually close down and restart.
Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
GEORGE.

Edited by Pandy, 10 January 2009 - 08:41 AM.
Moved from Win XP Home and Pro Pandy~

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 geotan

geotan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 374 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2009 - 04:05 AM

Hello Gurus,
This is an update. I managed to delete Spyware Guard using Unlocker but within 5 minutes it was back again and trying to do a scan. This is definitely a P.I.T.A.

#3 ePost

ePost

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 10 January 2009 - 05:30 AM

Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware can detect and remove it. Download: http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Remember to update it before you run it. You should also run a quick scan first and complete removal. Then a full scan.

Edited by ePost, 10 January 2009 - 05:33 AM.

#4 geotan

geotan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 374 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2009 - 05:48 AM

I have Malwarebytes but since this programme reared its ugly head I cannot start Malwarebytes even in safe mode.

#5 ePost

ePost

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2009 - 06:58 AM

I'm sorry. I don't know how I could have overlooked that. You wrote about it loud and clearly.

#6 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 10 January 2009 - 07:06 AM

Hi geotan,

I will ask that your thread be moved to the Am I Infected section. Please do not do anything further on your own until someone can post back some instructions for you.

Zllio

#7 geotan

geotan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 374 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2009 - 10:26 PM

UPDATE

Having read 100's of posts on here I changed the extension for Malwarebytes from.exe to .bat and was able to run it. I did a quick scan and removed everything found. Ran a second quick scan and nothing found. Ran three full scans. First one stopped at 23 mins 3 secs. Second one stopped at 25 mins 3 secs. Third one was successful and found two more items for deletion.
The moral - if downloading anything [even trusted sites] scan it with Malwarebytes before opening.

#8 Gecks69

Gecks69

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2009 - 01:37 PM

1. with Superantispyware.com free download. Download on another uninfected computer. copy Superspyware install (.exe) file to infected computer and change the name of the install file (something.exe). Run this new file and change the name of the install location to
C:\programfile\Supertemp | Once this installation is complete, browse to that folder. I changed the name of the Superantispyware.exe file to Supertemp.exe (May not be necessary). There should also be a file in this folder named:bootsafe.exe! Run this application to restart your
computer in Safe Mode - Directory Services Repair. Once the computer restarts in this mode then browse back to the Supertemp folder and run the Supertemp.exe. It should now work and start scanning. Mine detected about 88 infections but you will specifically see the 7 or so files of spyware guard 2008. Reboot when the scan is done and you should be good to go!
I did not do definition updates during this! I did not want to access the internet during this process!
Note: The file name changes are required because the spyware guard 2009 won’t let them install/run. This is for spyware guard 2009 even though it detects 2008 and 2008/B.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users