Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

installed a new video card and the sound died

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 hotdog121

hotdog121

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 10 January 2009 - 12:58 AM

i'm runing on windows xp media center sp 3
I was previously running a ati radeon x850 XT, so i replaced the video card with a radeon HD 4550. the video card works perfectly happy but now the sound just doesn't work. i've gone into the device manager trying to find a problem but it says everything is fine. when i go into the sound and audio devices it just tells me "no audio device" anyone got any ideas what's going on?

Edited by hotdog121, 10 January 2009 - 12:59 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lowtek_otc

lowtek_otc

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 10 January 2009 - 01:04 AM

Check the device manager. Type devmgmt.msc into the run command. And check under "Sound, Video, and Game controllers" to see if the sound card is listed. If you are unsure just reply with everything under the "Sound, Video, and Game controllers"

#3 hotdog121

hotdog121
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2009 - 01:13 AM

ati function driver for high definition audio - ati AA01
audio codecs
hauppauge WinTV PVR PCI II
legacy audio drivers
legacy video capture devices
media control devices
video codecs

that's everything listed under my sound, video and game controls.
i updated the driver for the hauppauge but that did nothing

Edited by hotdog121, 10 January 2009 - 01:34 AM.

#4 hotdog121

hotdog121
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2009 - 01:58 AM

so i started talking about it with a friend of mine. we determined that the mother board is probably the sound card, but don't know if it's a hardware or a software problem. he suggested to take it in to a repair shop and see if they can fix it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users