Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

saving format in paint

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Kiddo7

Kiddo7

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 21 May 2005 - 11:17 PM

after I copy a picture, I open paint and paste the picture in there, then I save it. the format automatically to be ".bmp" and I have to change it to .jpg

now I want to set it to save picture as .jpg (make it default)

how?

(Moderator edit: moved to more appropriate forum.jgweed)

Edited by jgweed, 22 May 2005 - 01:49 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 22 May 2005 - 12:51 AM

A few suggestions as i don't know the answer to your specific question:

1. Don't copy the picture, save it to a folder on your hard drive (it will save in its original format which will probably be jpg), then open it in paint.

2. Forget about paint and use Irfanview for basic operations. See comments in the Graphics forum: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/Gra...diting-f37.html

3. See if you can find a free download of Paintshop Pro somewhere. At one time v.4.15 was freely available. Its relatively powerful, easy to use, intuitive and will run on just about any windows PC - a little dated now but possibly the finest piece of freeware I've ever seen.

4. If you want to get serious about graphics look for The GIMP (which is also free!) now it has been released in a windows compatible version. Takes some getting used to though.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 22 May 2005 - 10:43 AM

Paint seems to want to open JPEGS as Bitmaps, for reasons known only to a priviledged few, and then save them as bitmaps. If you open then as JPEGS, then they will save as JPEGS.
If you have a digital camera, chances are it came with a better photo editing programme, or use IrfanView (it avoids all those annoyances and is more robust). Yet another solution, especially if you have a lot of pics to organise as well, is Google's free Picasa2, which also has editing features.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 lucent

lucent

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 22 May 2005 - 10:51 AM

When you save the document just type the .jpg/ .jpeg extention on the end (it's olny four or five extra keystrokes) and it will save it as a .jpg/ .jpeg file.
Posted Image
Special thanks to efizzer for the signature

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users