Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Removed Rootkit with ComboFix, HTTP doesn't function

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Insanity199

Insanity199

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 10 January 2009 - 12:06 AM

I had a rootkit installed that kept triggering my antivirus. I reached out for help on one of these virus related forums however since I don't have HTTP access on that computer anymore, I can't remember find my way back to my posting. I was advised to run combo fix.

I must say, it removed all of my problems and my laptop is now virus free however I do have one major glitch.

After running and rebooting, my laptop no longer has access to anything via HTTP. I can't connect to standard web pages nor any other type of HTTP communication. However, HTTPS does work fine. When running the IE Network Diagnostics, it confirms this exact scenario.... FTP and HTTPS connections succeed however HTTP do not.

I have the combofix log and would be willing to post it however I am not suppossed to do so here and I am not sure how I can get back to my original posting (don't even think it is this exact site) to continue with assistance.

Any help is appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 10 January 2009 - 04:39 PM

What operating system are you using?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Insanity199

Insanity199
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 11 January 2009 - 10:15 AM

I am using Windows XP. However, I have resolved the problem and it had nothing to do with running ComboFix or virus removal. I was cleaning up (removing) other applications before running ComboFix. I removed my CiscoVPN and thought that I had rebooted with everything running fine before running ComboFix. However, I guess not since after reinstalling my Cisco VPN client, HTTP requests began working again and all is well.

I am guessing that the uninstall of the CiscoVPN messed up something which makes sense since all VPN software installs networking drivers and if they don't uninstall properly, can cause issues.

Problem solved and you may close this thread if desired.

Thanks for offering to help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users