Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet issue

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 fairiew

fairiew

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 21 May 2005 - 11:01 PM

I am a firefox user and here is my problem. I have a broadband connection and i usually keep the computer running all day. After the computer has been lying idle for an hour or so (or sooner), it will not connect to the internet and say this page cannot be found. When I restart the computer, it will restart. I have antivirus software and free zonealarm on my computer. What should I do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,716 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2005 - 09:17 PM

What type of internet connection do you have?

#3 fairiew

fairiew
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2005 - 10:17 PM

broadband cable connection that I connect to via a wireless router.
Thanks

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,716 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2005 - 10:52 AM

Next time this happens, shut down zone alarm and see if it starts working again

#5 fairiew

fairiew
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2005 - 05:12 AM

yeah it worked! So what should I do? Should I get rid of zonealarm? Is there another firewall I can use instead? Thanks for your help.

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2005 - 05:25 AM

What is the make and model number of your router? Most routers have a built in firewall and in that case a software firewall is only good for checking outgoing connection attempts.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#7 fairiew

fairiew
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2005 - 10:05 AM

it is a Netgear Wireless Cable/DSL Router - 802.11b 2.4 GHz - MR814NA.
thanks

#8 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2005 - 10:18 AM

According to the sales blurb at TigerDirect for this unit:

Your communications and network are secure from hackers and wireless eavesdroppers because they're shielded with Network Address Translation (NAT) Firewall. Internet activities are always safe because Web-address filtering gives you control over any contact network users have with Web sites. Not only that, there's also a free, full-version of FreedomTM Personal Firewall software included (for 8-PCs, a $240 value) to block ads, manage your passwords, and prevent applications from sending your personal information over the Internet.

Did you get the FreedomTM Personal Firewall software? If so, you should be covered. I use a Linksys 4 port router and don't bother with a firewall. I use a program that monitors traffic to and from my PC instead, so I'll notice if there is unusual network activity and I haven't had any problems with intrusions.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users