Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MOBO Swap

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 crazywednesday

crazywednesday

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 09 January 2009 - 08:21 PM

AMD socket 939
Windows XP SP2 or 3
Recovery Console is installed
Boot drives on Raid0 WD Raptors Sata

I had a motherboard go bad. Since my computer is a couple years old, I could not find another the same model. Finally found a new motherboard that would work. Brought it home and installed everthing. Had to use a different video card since the new MB didnt support agp. I go into the bios and configure the hard drives and boot priority. Go into raid menu and configure sata drives to the same as they were on the old motherboard. Windows XP is installed on a pair of WD Raptors Striping. Set raid0 to boot first. Restart computer, everthing is going great until windows logo comes up for less than a second, blue screen of death follows, lastly computer begings to reboot.

Repeat Repeat Repeat ect......

Is it not possible to change out motherboards using same cpu and other components? Is there something I can do other than reinstall windows on my harddrives?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Justin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 09 January 2009 - 08:48 PM

Other components as in hard drives with the OS on it
Worth reading:
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 crazywednesday

crazywednesday
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2009 - 10:58 PM

Thanks for the link. Not the answer I wanted, but atleast I know what I need to do now. Good thing I bought XP retail and built my own computer.

Almost looks like I am completely screwed. Its kinda hard to prepare for a motherboard change when it just stops working.
Lets see ..... lessons learned here:
Do not store any software or data on the same harddrive Windows XP is on unless you are backing that data to another drive. That way if something fails you dont have to be creative to get it off.

I'm so pissed.

#4 funnytim

funnytim

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 10 January 2009 - 02:41 AM

Contradictory to the lessons I've learned here on BC (one of the few times!), last summer when I built a brand new computer, I took the HD from my 5 year old computer (with XP on it) and plugged it into my computer.

After some minor diffuculties I managed to get the OS running as if there were no changes to it at all (ie. no need to re-install, etc).

However the HD died a few days later, but that was probably due to oldness anyway, as it was already started to do that in the old computer ( i think).

Lets see ..... lessons learned here:
Do not store any software or data on the same harddrive Windows XP is on unless you are backing that data to another drive. That way if something fails you dont have to be creative to get it off.

haha that's true...we should all be backing up our data occassionally / frequently.

If you have data on that HD you need to salvage, I'm pretty sure you can try plugging in that HD into another working computer, then copy the files off to it (the experts here can confirm if thats true or not) before reformatting + reinstalling the new OS on it.

#5 crazywednesday

crazywednesday
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2009 - 10:25 AM

If you have data on that HD you need to salvage, I'm pretty sure you can try plugging in that HD into another working computer, then copy the files off to it (the experts here can confirm if thats true or not) before reformatting + reinstalling the new OS on it.

Only problem with this is that it is two sata drives in raid0. I have to find another computer somewhere with two open sata ports and configure them to raid0 before removing any data.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users