Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need some more driver help haha

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 U R Insan3

U R Insan3

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 09 January 2009 - 05:14 PM

Hey, posted here yesterday because I reinstalled xp and needed to reinstall some drivers, all went well on this laptop. But my friend wanted me to do his too and I have no idea what to download from the dell drivers page.

Here's his laptop model http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...tid=&impid=

The missing drivers are

Ethernet controller
Multimedia audio controller
network controller
pci modem
video controller (VGA compatible)

if you guys could help me with what to install that'd be great! Thanks!

also if you could, could you explain how you know so i can stop asking ;) :thumbsup:
-TJB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 09 January 2009 - 05:43 PM

This one is a little different you need to download SIW so I can see what exact drivers you need there are alot of different configurations for that particular laptop. If you need to get the networking to work download the 2 Broadcom drivers under networking (the 2nd and 3rd entries) first and install them. After installing SIW run the program. Under the Hardware heading I need to know what network adapters are installed list all of them. Next under Video I need to know if the graphics adapter is an Radeon, Or Geforce card. Next Under the Devices sub-category under the hardware tab I need to know what modem is installed. After you get these listed you can simply go to the drivers page you linked too and download the apropriate drivers. Your laptop was a little easier since there were only a few different configurations so I just had you download everything. In the future you can use the SIW program to find out what components are installed in the computer and then download the drivers for them from either the computer manufactures website or from the component manufactures website.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 U R Insan3

U R Insan3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2009 - 05:55 PM

Awesome! Nifty bit of information to know. Downloading the two Broadcom drivers at the moment and then I'll burn a CD with the 3, hopefully I can figure out the rest myself with the SIW utility but I'll report back either way. Thanks again!
-TJB

#4 U R Insan3

U R Insan3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2009 - 06:17 PM

Network adapters:

1. Broadcom 440x 10/100 integrated controller
2. 1392 net adapter

Video:

When I click video info the box simply turns up white, nothing in it.
Nor in monitor or modes. DirectX has a lot of information in it.

Modem:

Looked under the devices sub category, when I click it it says the system has 99 devices. I tried the tree on the left and I'm not sure where to find the modem.

Edit: looked under ports and found Modem and it says "Modem not found!"

Edited by U R Insan3, 09 January 2009 - 06:20 PM.

-TJB

#5 U R Insan3

U R Insan3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2009 - 12:58 AM

Ok finished a lot of windows updates on the computer and for some reason the video device showed up in SIW. Downloaded that and there was only 1 audio driver so downloaded that. Not sure what the Network Controller and PCI Modem are though. The network controller is for the built in wireless card, but I'm not sure which one he needs.

Any help?

Edit: Figured out the network card, just can't find the modem :\

Edit: Think I fixed the modem driver too now, windows update found a hardware update and it might be it. Thanks for all your help!

Edited by U R Insan3, 11 January 2009 - 12:55 PM.

-TJB

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 11 January 2009 - 02:24 PM

If you cant find the Modem driver you can try Pc wizard or Unknown device Identifier. SIW uses the windows registry to look for installed components these two programs actually search for installed hardware. SIW may miss somethings that these programs will find.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#7 CmmTch

CmmTch

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2009 - 09:59 PM

I've found a tool called DriverMax, it's free to use, you have to register with them though. It scans your computer and shows the drivers that are out of date and the latest version, then you can have it download and install the driver. It worked good for me, I found it on Major Geeks, here's a link to that page with the download on it. DriverMax You might try it and see if it works for you.
Steve

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users