Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet browsers and other internet applications will not load.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 goodnyte

goodnyte

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 09 January 2009 - 04:36 PM

Hello. I'm really hoping someone can help me as I'm beginning to run out of ideas to fix this problem:

Recently, my computer came down with the "WARNING Dangerous Spyware Many viruses were found on your computer such as : Trojan Horse, PassCapture, etc. Your personal information can fall in to the 'third hands'. Please check up the computer with special software. Thank" desktop problem. I used the Malwarebytes program to get rid of that and was successful, but I could not get any sort of internet connection on the computer while I had the virus and afterwards. I use the same connection for my desktop computer and my laptop through a Linksys router, and the laptop's connection and browsers/applications are working fine. The IP addresses on my modem (a Westell 6100) and the router were actually the same and were getting confused. I've resolved this problem, and the router is working correctly. The modem seems to be working correctly, with all wires and lights attached and behaving as usual.

I've tried Firefox 3 and Internet Explorer 7 on the desk computer, and both browsers do not load my homepage (Google). On Firefox, I get a blank screen with nothing in the address bar and the little status text on the extreme bottom left of the screen above the Start button says 'Done'. On Internet Explorer I get the "Cannot find server - The page could not be displayed" page. WeatherBug, AIM, and other programs requiring an internet connection have also stopped working.

After running Malwarebytes and fixing my IP addresses, I also ran SDfix and Ad-Aware. Together, these scanned and deleted the remnants of the Trojan in the system. I've run subsequent scans on all three programs and my CA Security Antivirus and have come up clean. Unfortunately, my younger sibling restarted the computer and I am not sure as to where my SDfix logs went to (I'm not sure if they would've helped - it deleted a Trojan in the temp folder).

I ran a System Checker from the CMD on the desk computer, but I can't tell if it did anything. The problem is persisting.

In the Command Prompt on the desk computer, I am able to ping Google and Yahoo. I know that there is a connection, but the browsers and applications are not detecting it. I'm not sure if I should uninstall all of the programs and browsers and transfer them from the laptop in an attempt to see if that would help, or if anyone has ever experienced a similar problem, or if someone knows what happened.

The desk computer:
Trying to run: Firefox, IE, AIM, WeatherBug (primarily)
Antivirus: CA Security Antivirus (with Malwarebytes, SDfix and Ad-Aware)

The laptop:
is working fine.

-goodnyte

Edit: Moved topic from Web Browsing/Email and Other Internet Applications to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 09 January 2009 - 09:13 PM

Hi Goodnyte and welcome to BC!

Let's start with Malwarebytes (MBAM) Please update and run the program with these instructions. If you cannot download update MBAM, please download the updates here: here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
On the Scanner tab:
  • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
  • Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
Note:
-- If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Regardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

Note 2:
-- MBAM may make changes to your registry as part of its disinfection routine. If you're using other security programs that detect registry changes (like Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere with the fix or alert you after scanning with MBAM. Please disable such programs until disinfection is complete or permit them to allow the changes. To disable these programs, please view this topic: How To Temporarily Disable Your Anti-virus, Firewall And Anti-malware Programs

Your SDFix log should be automatically saved in the SDFix folder as Report.txt. Please post that too.

Thanks!

Edited by rigel, 09 January 2009 - 09:21 PM.

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users