Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anti-Malware tools won't update

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 im_not_1337

im_not_1337

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 09 January 2009 - 04:01 PM

So, I'm pretty adept at removing this junk and do it quite often and i'm sure i could figure this one out on my own eventually but I figured I would ask while i'm at work.

I have a computer that i removed some malware on using MBAM and SAS. Nothing too bad and not massive infections, it looks like it was just one keylogger. The problem is, neither SAS or MBAM will update. I know usually this is a hosts file issue, or the malware is actively blocking the connection but this doesn't seem to be the case. The hosts file is clean. It appears that the machine is relatively clean and does not have any active malware running. I can visit the MBAM and SAS homepages as well as a multitude of other online anti virus scanners and sites that you normally aren't able to with these types of infections. SAS and MBAM full system scans are coming up clean. Granted they are not fully up to date, but they are not that outdated either as I downloaded the latest version from their respective sites. Tried reinstalling both programs after cleaning the computer and both still won't update. I don't need advice on how to find any possible and likely further malware as i can do that myself with the tools commonly used here, as there may be remains but i didn't see any in my first glances through combofix/hjt. but i'm just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on what may be happening here and why these anti malware programs are not be able to connect and update? What types of anti-malware update and blocking measures do most malware utilize these days?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 09 January 2009 - 05:09 PM

Some types of malware will disable MBAM and other security tools. If MBAM will not install, try renaming it. Right-click on the mbam-setup.exe file and change the .exe extension to .bat, .com, .pif, or .scr and then double-click on it to run.

If after installation, MBAM will not run, open the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware folder in Program Files, right-click on mbam.exe and change the .exe as noted above. Then double-click on it to run.

Another work around is by not using the mouse to install it, Just use the arrow keys, tab, and enter keys.

Manually Downloading Updates for MBAM:
Manually download them from HERE and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install. Alternatively, you can update through MBAM's interface from a clean computer, copy the definitions (rules.ref) located in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from that system to a usb stick or CD and then copy it to the infected machine.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users