Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connecting PC's via Lan

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 igglez

igglez

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 09 January 2009 - 03:32 PM

Hi,

I need some help setting up a network. Heres what I have:-

XP PC
XP PC
XP Laptop
Vista Laptop

I have broadband through BT, It only runs at about 2mbps, but the router is absolute crap (i will explain later). At my old house the router I had worked fine, although I didnt want to do what I want here.. Set up a LAN.

We play games (diablo 2, AOC, FM 09 ect) but we want to set it up via LAN so that we are connected faster, at the momment although we can find games much easier I dont think its connected via LAN as we can get upto 100-200 pings when LAN should be almost pingless.

Also, we would like to share files. I remember setting a 2 PC lan up many years ago and having access to all files ect, this was with direct ethernet connections though and no ADSL involved.

We also obviously want the internet to work on all the computers.

This is why i hate the home hub 2.0 - Since moving into my new house my hub doesnt connect wirelessly. Well, it has been known to for maybe an hour or so, but most of the time we try to connect we get "limited or no connectivity" or we cant even find it when searching for it. We have resorted to having all computers in the same room and using ethernet cables, our living room looks like a geek convention lol!

We probably need a new router, weve tried 2 BT Home hubs, both do the same thing. Is what I am looking for possible? I work for BT and am an expert when it comes to ADSL, but this is obviously something very differant.

Your help would be very much apreciated.

Regards

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users