Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble with CD/DVD Drive

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Jayy

Jayy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 09 January 2009 - 03:25 PM

I am running a Vista on a Dell Computer (obviously). My DVD/CS-ROM drive is - PLDS DVD+-RW DH16A6S ATA Device

My problem is that my computer does not recognize when I insert a DVD into the drive. I've tried several, when I put them in and go to "Computer" and attempt to open it, it tells me to insert a disk into Drive E. I'm not sure what that means or what to do. Please help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 aommaster

aommaster

I !<3 malware

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 09 January 2009 - 06:36 PM

Have you tried using another CD? Try using one that is bought and that you're sure works. CD-ROM's not detecting CD's could be caused by either the CD being damaged or the CD-Drivers not working.

My website: http://aommaster.com
unite_blue.png
Please do not send me PM's requesting for help. The forums are there for a reason : )
If I am helping you and do not respond to your thread for 48 hours, please send me a PM

#3 Jayy

Jayy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2009 - 06:53 PM

I've tried using several legitiment DVD's and a CD. The computer WILL recognize that there is a disk, I go to "Jay", my account name, and it says there's a CD or DVD, but when I double click to open it, it ejects the disk and tells me to enter a disk into drive E.

#4 aommaster

aommaster

I !<3 malware

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 09 January 2009 - 06:56 PM

Alrighty... were any changes made to your computer (hardware or software related) before the problem started?

My website: http://aommaster.com
unite_blue.png
Please do not send me PM's requesting for help. The forums are there for a reason : )
If I am helping you and do not respond to your thread for 48 hours, please send me a PM

#5 james68

james68

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 11 January 2009 - 08:08 PM

I have a similar problem, I uninstalled some unwanted programs earlier and on reboot my E drive was missing from my list of drives in my computer. I right clicked on the computer manager to check for problems and my CD/DVD has a little warning icon next to it with the following message.

Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)... I use windows vista home premium on an Acer Aspire lap top and the name of the CD/DVD device is MATbleepA DVD-RAM UJ-850S ATA Device.

I did some checking on the net and it seems the problem is caused by two corrupted registry entries, unfortunately I am not computer literate enough to be able to fix the problem without help, so, if anyone can help or at least point me towards help I will be thankful.

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 11 January 2009 - 08:29 PM

james68,
If you have a problem you would like to discuss, please start your own topic.
This will help to avoid the confusion, of trying to help two or more people, in the same thread, with different problems.
Even if your problem is similar to the original poster's problem, the solution could be totally different due to different hardware, software, system requirements, etc....
This is also known as hijacking a thread, which is not considered to be proper forum etiquette.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2009 - 04:20 PM

Hello,

I'm also having this problem with my DVD driver. It simply won't recognize any dvd or cd I put in. This started to happen when I had to manually update Windows Defender. I'm pretty sure that the update was/is the culprit. I just don't know what to do, in order to make the driver be able to recognize dvds and cds again.

What ever the update did, it did it on booting/rebooting. I did the update during the night, and in the next day, I went to record a DVD, and it wouldn't be recognized. There is no problem with the DVD driver's driver, and I can boot my system with Windows Vista DVD, so, the DVD driver isn't broken.

I tried to restore my system, but nothing.

I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium x86 SP1.

Does anyone have any ideas why this could have happened and how to fix it? Any help would be very welcome.

Thanks

Edit: Now, it seems that even DVD Windows Vista won't boot. No idea of what happened.

Edited by m00nbl00d, 09 May 2009 - 10:25 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users