Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drive issue/won't boot

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 LynnBR

LynnBR

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 AM

Posted 09 January 2009 - 02:29 PM

Seagate Barracuda 7022.7 40 GB, 5+ years old. Dell system, Win XP Pro FWIW. User reported to me (after the fact) that system blue screened, restarted system, black screen. When I finally got there, had an error that 'Windows\System32\Config\System was missing or corrupt, try repair option with original setup CD'. I booted into Recovery Console, but got no option to select installed OS, just c:\ (but walked away for a while, if it timed out and did auto select, I don't know). Ran chkdsk, at 25% received error that there were unrecoverable problems with drive. Booted off CD again, went to Install option, but there was no repair option so bailed on that one. Attached to my system usign IDE/USB cable to see if I could recover any data; my system sees drive, but can't pull any data. When I look in Disk Management, drive shows up, healthy, one partition FAT and 24% free, second partition unformatted and 100% free. I have tried with jumper in both cable select and slave positions, only cable select allows me to even see drive. Have tried freezing drive; that has worked in the past on some dying drives!

Given the above, is it worth trying fixmbr or fixboot from recovery console? I have a copy of SpinRite; is it worth trying to recover data that way? Do you have other recommendations? Or should I give up, be thankful that I made user backup really critical data to server, and just restore image for now and go from there (and then buy new hard drive since this one is getting old)??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LynnBR

LynnBR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 AM

Posted 10 January 2009 - 04:06 PM

Well, ran Dell diagnostics. Per Dell, error code is read element error. Bought new drive, installing OS as I type. I hate missing these wonderful 68 degree days in Phoenix in January to deal with this crap.

Consider this topic closed, no help needed. I'll post back if I am actually able to retrieve data off the drive using 3rd party utility - if I ever get time someday.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users