Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard disk problem

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Sirex

Sirex

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 21 May 2005 - 07:35 PM

Alright.

I've had this computer for about a year now, its rarely frozen, nor given me any troubles whatsoever. However, I turned it on today and to my surprise I receive this message at the DOS screen

Primary Master Hard Disk S.M.A.R.T Status Bad

Warning. Immediate back up your data and replace your hard disk drive.

A failure may be imminent.

As I said, i was surprised since my hard disk or computer never showed any sign of slowing down or any other problems. I inserted my recovery disk, and reformatted..

What happens next is kinda odd.. Although I still receive that annoying dos message, which prompts me to either hit F1 to continue, or delete to setup, each time I hit F1, it eventually works.. hence eventually since it takes waaay longer to load.

I'm wondering if theres any way to fix this.. My computer seems to be working fine right now, except for the fact that its slow on startup and such.

Any help would be appreciated. thank ya.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 21 May 2005 - 07:38 PM

The "smart" software on your hd has detected imminent failure.

Were it me, I would buy a new HD and install it asap, transfering all data I wanted to save.

"How does Active SMART protect my data?

Just as soon as the hard disk state changes, an S.M.A.R.T. system, integrated into the disk, notifies you about it. The disk condition may slowly decline; however, this might not show for a bit, while the disk is able to correct its own mistakes. That can go on for some time until, one day, the disk is not able to fix its mistakes and the data on the disk is no longer readable or recoverable.
All this time, while the disk condition was growing worse, the S.M.A.R.T. system has been notifying you about it."
http://www.ariolic.com/activesmart/index.html

Edited by Enthusiast, 21 May 2005 - 07:41 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users