Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Memory Mayhem

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 8-bit

8-bit

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 21 May 2005 - 05:53 PM

Ive just purchased a 512mb memory module from EBAY but after Ive installed it a get blue screen error messages. Im guessing the memory is bad,am I right??? :s

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2005 - 06:09 PM

Doesn't sound good. Did you try it seperatly from your existing Ram? Are you sure its compatible with your system?

Post back with your motherboard make and model number and the exact type of ram and someone can help you see if its right for your machine.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 8-bit

8-bit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2005 - 05:33 AM

Thanks for the reply.
I have a GIGABYTE GA-7ZXE m/b which accepts 168-pin DIMM PC-100MhZ/ PC- 133MhZ SDRAM memory.

The RAM I purchased was 512 MB SDRAM PC133 Brand:SM-COM.

I tried with my other RAM then on its own.

Edited by 8-bit, 22 May 2005 - 05:34 AM.

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2005 - 06:02 AM

I tried with my other RAM then on its own.

So what happened in those two tests? Your old ram continues to work? Your new ram on its own blue screens? And together they blue screen?

I found your manual here. You can put in up to 1.5GB of ram so thats not the problem. It only supports 3.3V ram, though.

Page 11 shows the motherboard layout. Make sure you have the new ram alone in DIMM 1 when you try it. Page 11 shows a jumper for the mobo that sets 100Mhz or 133Mhz. What is that set at? It would need to be 133Mhz for that ram you bought. Your old one may be 100Mhz if thats what its set at now.

Do you have a website for the ram manufacturer? I can't find them.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 8-bit

8-bit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2005 - 06:26 AM

As far as I know all the RAM I have is PC 133. I have a manual at hand so Ive checked all the settings etc. Whether its on its own or with my other RAM the boots sequence gets as far as the WINDOWS XP logo screen then I get a blue screen error.
Guess I was a victim of either a scam or rough postal handling. :thumbsup:

Edited by 8-bit, 22 May 2005 - 06:27 AM.

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2005 - 06:41 AM

Thats too bad. Do you use precautions against static electricity? You can fry a stick of ram with the static in your body without even noticing.

The only other suggestion I have is to clean the contacts on the ram with a pencil eraser.

Try MemTest 86 or one of the other memory testers at MajorGeeks.com. MemTest86 makes a bootable floppy you can run and will test the ram so you know for sure. If that ram is not compatible I don't see why you are able to boot that far. I would expect it to hang almost right away.

#7 8-bit

8-bit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2005 - 06:54 AM

Thanks for all your advice and help. It was appreciated. :thumbsup:

#8 8-bit

8-bit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2005 - 07:27 AM

I tried it again on its own in the DIMM 1 socket and I got another error message. This one said ' lsass.exe-system error
The end point format is invalid'

I tried again and everything loaded fine although my mouse did'nt seem to be working. Then on a third attempt I got a blue screen error- 'Non page fault in a non page area'

I guess that pretty much confirms it I guess. :thumbsup:

#9 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2005 - 02:59 AM

Dear 8-bit,

You computer only supports 168 pin DIMM memory chips.

Are you sure you bought 168 pin DIMM chips?

If you bought a newer version 184 pin SDRAM it will not work for you ever.

168 DIMM technology is old and you will have to buy that to make your computer to work.

Sorry,

junkdk :thumbsup:
Your Hardware Guide.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users