Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Print Spooling Service

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Cap

Cap

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 21 May 2005 - 05:43 PM

Everything was working fine (for the most part) on Windows XP SP2 for months.

Now all the printer installations have disappeared. This was shortly after refusing to upgrade ZoneAlarm but downloading it for my laptop. When trying to reinstall, I get the message that "the print spooling service is not running" and the printer, HP 1012, will not install.

I tried starting it manually per advice from HP'w web site and it does not stay started. I recently backed up the whole hard driver onto a new one. I copied the spoolsv.exe to the desk top and put a copy on the new drive where I can find it again. I then took the back up copy of spoolsv. exe and copied it into Windows on the C drive. I was warned that I was replacing a file of the same name with the same date. I copied over anyway and tried it again.

I got the same error message.

I tried to see if I could repair it with my XP Pro disk but I was warned that this was an older version and was strongly recommended that it did not do it. So I stopped that.

Any suggestion?

Thanks

Cap

Edited by Cap, 21 May 2005 - 05:55 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 21 May 2005 - 07:20 PM

Do you have this printer installed as a network printer of just a slave printer for one computer only?

#3 Cap

Cap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2005 - 12:07 AM

It is for this computer only, although I have this computer networked to a laptop which, when everything was working, the laptop could not access the printer hooked up to the desk top.

#4 Cap

Cap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2005 - 03:52 PM

I think I fixed my problem. I googled spoolerv.exe [sic] and got a suggestion that I go to Add/Remove Programs and remove all software. After several attempts, and after downloading a 1010 series driver for the 1012, I now have all my drivers back, including the one I had before adding an new driver for 1012.

The only thing is that since the installation, the cursor flickers now and then in more than one program . But I can live with that until I have time to try to figure out -- or ask -- why it is doing that.

I am still curious, however, why the printers disappeared in the first place and how they all came back when I removed one driver and associated programs.

#5 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 22 May 2005 - 08:42 PM

How many printers are we actually talking about here and what are they?

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users