Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Memory sticks.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Manshead

Manshead

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 PM

Posted 09 January 2009 - 10:19 AM

I recently bought two 1GB memory sticks DDR PC2-5300. Crucial scanned my computer and said they were suitable. I installed them like this. The first stick was already installed.

1GB
DDR PC2-5200
1GB
DDR PC2-5300
1GB
DDR PC2-5300
EMPTY

I have now found this information on Crusial."Although the memory can be installed one module at a time, the best performance comes from using matched pairs of modules."
Should I put the new memory sticks together in the first two slots and the original stick in the third slot. Or does it really not matter.

I also gathered this information, l not sure if it helps.

CPU Family: IntelŪ PentiumŪ D CPU 2.80GHz Model 6, Stepping 4
CPU Speed: 2810 MHz
Handle every situation like a real man.
If you cant eat it or drink it.
Walk Away, it Aint worth the hassle.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 AM

Posted 09 January 2009 - 01:19 PM

The main question would be - how is it performing for you?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,804 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 09 January 2009 - 01:27 PM

What Crucial is referring to is that for the performance you should install matched pairs so that it can be run in dual channel. This arrangement will effectively make the RAM twice as fast, but in order to do this you need to have modules with the exact same specifications for the best results. If you don't use matched pairs then you may not gain the added performance of dual channel.

Mixing RAM modules with different speeds will result in all modules installed running at the speed of the slower module. The expansion slots for the RAM usually are in two different colors, this is so that you know how to populate the RAM. I would install the two DDR PC2-5300 in the first slot and the second of the same color and see how this runs in comparison to using all three modules.

Edited by dc3, 09 January 2009 - 01:31 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Manshead

Manshead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2009 - 03:42 PM

Thanks Arachibutyrophobia for your reply.
I have 4 slots for memory 1st yellow then black then yellow then black.Should I install the memory into the 1st yellow and then the 2nd yellow or the 1st yelloow and then the black one next to it.
Sorry to sound so dumb but I've never worked with this dual memory before.
Look forward to your answer.

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,768 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 PM

Posted 09 January 2009 - 07:07 PM

On almost all motherboards, you should have one DIMM in each color, so try one of the new DIMMs in each of the first two slots. Dual channel mode should be enabled, whereas if you fit 3 DIMMs, it should only be able to run single channel.

If 2GB is sufficient for the type of programs you run, you may be better having 2GB running dual channel than 3GB single channel. If you use a lot of memory and the system still uses the page file on the hard drive regularly with 2GB fitted, you will be better off using the 3GB even though it's only single channel operation.

A very few boards can do tricky things with unpaired DIMMs and still run dual channel, if your board still indicates dual channel mode with all 3 fitted, you're lucky.

If you get no indication whether dual channel is enabled or not, a diagnostic utility like Everest Free Edition can show you how the system performs with different memory configurations.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,804 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2009 - 08:19 PM

What I had suggested was to use the two matched modules, and yes, put them both in the two yellow slots.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 Manshead

Manshead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2009 - 05:15 AM

Thank you all for your helpful suggestions. I put the two 5300's in the yellow slots and hey presto I'm running dual memory. According to a program called Cpuz that I downloaded.I will try Everest though.
Thanks for all your help, as they say you live and learn. :thumbsup:

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,804 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2009 - 05:49 AM

Glad to hear that you have dual channel working.

#9 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,768 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 PM

Posted 10 January 2009 - 05:53 AM

as they say you live and learn.

Yes indeed. :thumbsup:

It's getting more difficult to be sure what convention manufacturers use for their color coding.

Edited by Platypus, 10 January 2009 - 05:54 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users