Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with Mcafee removal tool

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 futureneck

futureneck

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 09 January 2009 - 10:10 AM

I have a problem with some Mcafee software that came with my computer. its a hp pavilion dv4000 btw. I was trying to clean it off but the program is not running properly. please reference the 2nd page of this post

[post="here"]http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic186374-15.html[/post]

i may have not done that right but you can copy and paste

Thanks

Edited by futureneck, 09 January 2009 - 10:28 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ePost

ePost

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 PM

Posted 09 January 2009 - 10:46 AM

The link is out of order so I looked under your profile to see if I could find the thread. It seems that you never got an answer from the malware experts in here? The old thread is still unanswered?

Mcafee's special removal tool is this one here. Is that the one you're wrestling with? Did you download this? If not: give it a try: http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx...507&lc=1033

Edited by ePost, 09 January 2009 - 10:50 AM.

#3 futureneck

futureneck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2009 - 10:51 AM

no i have been helped for the malware problem, but while working on some optional fixes to boost efficiency we ran into some problems. The Mcaffee Mcsheild showed up kind of out of nowhere on my hijacklog (second page of this thread)

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...p;#entry1056995

this should work
sorry about that

I did try that tool and that is the one that says "cleaning failed: cleaning in progress" or something to that extent, but it doesnt give me the option to view or save the log. i have tried to run it a few time and that is what i get repeatedly.

Also Mcafee came installed on my machine when I bought it. i think it was part of an AOL thing. I tried uninstalling it about 3 years ago, but obviously i didnt do it properly. just trying to give you as much info as i can. thanks for the help

Edited by futureneck, 09 January 2009 - 10:59 AM.

#4 ePost

ePost

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2009 - 10:55 AM

I just added a bit more to my post above. In cases like this the first step is to go to the products website and look for special uninstallers. They usually have that for more trouble some situations. The link is in the post above. If this does not work the next step is to reinstall the program that you want to get rid of.

And then of cause: uninstall again.

#5 ePost

ePost

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2009 - 11:01 AM

They also have a forum themselves. Try the search function in there: http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/index.php

PS: their search function is not very good...

PPS: I'm not impressed with what I read in there at all. Not at all. I'm glad, I don't have that program myself.

Edited by ePost, 09 January 2009 - 11:26 AM.

#6 futureneck

futureneck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2009 - 12:46 PM

yeah i didnt get anything of value out of there.
thanks though

#7 ePost

ePost

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2009 - 01:06 PM

Can you install Mcafee again? And then try another uninstall using that special tool that they have...

#8 futureneck

futureneck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2009 - 01:10 PM

well the mcafee was already installed on my computer when i got it back in 06. i believe it was part of AOL's security suite. i went to aol's site and couldnt find anything.

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2009 - 07:15 PM

Even installing a trial version may help - and may fix things that the uninstaller needs to uninstall the remnants.
We don't have as many problems at work with McAfee as we do with the older versions of NIS - but there's still enough problems that we recommend getting rid of it at the first sign of trouble from it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 futureneck

futureneck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2009 - 08:06 PM

i cleaned it in safe mode and then it worked

#11 ePost

ePost

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2009 - 08:16 PM

Well done. You should run CCleaner also. Use it's registry cleaner function. Also do a PC search with Search Companion for residue - all files and folder (the one with the yellow dog). Right click on the findings and select delete. CCleaner: http://www.ccleaner.com/download

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users