Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

avgcsrvx hogging mu cpu!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 encyclogames

encyclogames

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 09 January 2009 - 05:25 AM

till now,i had no problems with avg 8.0 internet security and then a few days back my computer suddenly slowed down.
i am a regular defragmenter of my system and i also have process explorer. running it,i see the hog is caused by a specific "avgcsrvx" running under avg 8.0. Thing is this never used to come before and its taking upto 50% of my c.p.u speed. the description says its an AVG scanning core module-Server part. Can i kill this process or is there any other way to disable it???

Another funny thing is that process explorer shows three avgcrsvx but only the one under avgscanx is hogging my pc.Why is that???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 09 January 2009 - 12:33 PM

Looking around a bit, I see AVG has extended their support of 7.5 to the end of next month. My guess is they are aware of still many problems with 8.xxx.
Whenever I have a problem with what appears a corrupt program, I have found the easiest solution is to completely uninstall and reinstall or move on to another similar program.

I did see something about a repair function. It didn't say how to access it. Some programs repair function are accessed in thru the Add/Remove program.

Many users are suggesting not to install the toolbar, email scanner, or word plugin for AVG 8.0.

Just my opinion, Avast is a good option.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 PCwarrior

PCwarrior

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 01 February 2009 - 03:57 PM

Hello, I have the same issue with AVG. I got the tool You mention and found the same background CPU usage issue as well. After spending days trying to find a resolution this is what I found.
AVG has a background service called Resident Shield. Its a good item, but it is a hog. Besides the fact that most every thing it watches has been scanned coming in to your system and or during regular scans it monitors all that goes on in real time. Thus the Hogging of CPU.
It doesn't stop functioning just because you shut down AVG either.. It still keeps a watch, even with the main prog. down.
So, while searching for a fix to remedy choppy game play I found a tech article that detailed how to turn it off, while still allowing AVG to be in operation.
I'm sorry I don't know how to add links here yet, but if you go to TWEAKGUIDES . com and look up TWEAKING COMPANION for windows(pick your version) its a free PDF. In it you will find the easy process, and helpful links to reduce the CPU use.
Page 50 in the PDF is where I found the guide for doing the mod.. Its a simple fix to a daunting issue. The author asks that You use some downloaded stuff that IMO should have came with OS, but is down loadable through Microsofts Symsintrals (or however you spellit).

I applied the fix last night and it does seem to do the trick.
(new,12/23/09) ASUS Crosshair III, Phenom IIx4 955 Blk Ed, Zalman 9500 HS, Saphire 5770 vga, W-7/64bit, 8g/Corsair/1600 RAM, 850w HX Corsair PSU, WD CB/500gb HD, Pioneer CD/DVD, Smilodon/Dirk-Tooth(modded), All custom&controlled fans. Shhhh lol :)

#4 encyclogames

encyclogames
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 02 February 2009 - 12:42 AM

Man!!!! Thnx a lot THAT really helps me. Now plz excude me as i gotta go back to reading this almost 200 pages tweak guide.

encyclogames aka E.g

#5 PCwarrior

PCwarrior

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 02 February 2009 - 08:09 PM

I want to post a word of warning about the tweak to disable any part of AVG. Though it (the tweak) does remove a CPU intensive scan engine, it should be noted that the lack of Resident Shield does open your system to possible malware(tracking cookies and such) and defeats the real time monitoring of your system. So game wisely and it would probably be a good Idea to learn the tweak backward and forward to be able to reinable before surfing.

The tweak is meant to, and does relieve some CPU background usage, at the expense of real time security.
My install of AVG 8 didn't allow my resident shield to totally be disabled, even after unticking the service. With the service unselected and AVG turned off, I still found system use of about 1/2 my 1.2 CPU.

AVG? how about a (totally) off switch?
If anyone knows of a better fix for this real time issue with the program, PLZ, tell all. :thumbsup:

Edited by PCwarrior, 02 February 2009 - 08:10 PM.

(new,12/23/09) ASUS Crosshair III, Phenom IIx4 955 Blk Ed, Zalman 9500 HS, Saphire 5770 vga, W-7/64bit, 8g/Corsair/1600 RAM, 850w HX Corsair PSU, WD CB/500gb HD, Pioneer CD/DVD, Smilodon/Dirk-Tooth(modded), All custom&controlled fans. Shhhh lol :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users