Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wired & Wireless domain

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 hfnet

hfnet

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 21 May 2005 - 04:01 PM

This sounds complex, but is probably really easy (I hope)

I have a phone point in the hall. The adsl router is pluged into it and a wireless acees point is connected to that.

I have a server (2003 standard) which is in a room at the other end of the house, and a client pc next to it. I also have a wireless pc and wireless laptop in the house.

I have a pci network card in the client pc which is connected to a switch, and this is also connected to a pci card in the server. The server also has a wireless lan card to connect to the wireless access point.

I want to configure all clients to join a domain and use the server as the dns and internet gateway, but I can't get my head around whether this is possible!!

The wireless access point has DHCP capabilities but the pc next to the server would not be given an IP address if that was used, similarly, if the server is the DHCP server I can't see how it can assign ip addresses to the wireless pc and laptop if the wireless card is talking with the acces point...

Any help greatly appreciated

Edited by hfnet, 21 May 2005 - 04:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 22 May 2005 - 03:22 AM

The wireless cards will talk to one another, so if you set up DHCP on your server the other wireless devices will get their IP addresses from there... I think.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users