Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to install update for windows xp

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jksjk

jksjk

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 09 January 2009 - 12:56 AM

I've never had this happen before, but I'm getting the message "The following updates were not installed: Cumulative Security Update for ActiveX Killbits for Windows XP (KB956391)". I've tried like 50 times already.

I have my settings so that its suppose to download and install automatically

Edited by jksjk, 09 January 2009 - 12:57 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ePost

ePost

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2009 - 01:36 AM

Try Dial-A-Fix. Maybe your installer just needs a flush. And Dial-A-Fix is very safe and will do the job. Download here from BleepingComputer: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/160132/how-to-use-dial-a-fix-to-repair-windows-internals-problems/

#3 ePost

ePost

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2009 - 01:44 AM

Another option is the free Windows Live OneCare safety online scanner. It will check your files and repair them. It will also install updates such as the one you mentioned. Go for a full scan.
http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm#

However: you should run Dial-A-Fix anyway.

#4 jksjk

jksjk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2009 - 09:42 AM

problem fixed! :thumbsup:
Thank you

#5 ePost

ePost

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2009 - 01:08 PM

You're welcome. Which one of them did the trick? :-)

#6 jksjk

jksjk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2009 - 04:58 PM

I just did the one care deal.
I'm kind of afraid to mess with the other thing because I'm having some other computer issues at the moment and don't want to mess up anything. My dad would probably kill me if I kill his computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users