Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malware or spyware that won't go away

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BigRube

BigRube

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 09 January 2009 - 12:49 AM

Hi, I am just a basic computer user and do not have a lot of experience in removal of crap that seems to keep coming back on to my computer. I have pop-ups that I can't seem to block for an anti-virus scan that I am sure is bogus. My computer runs slow and my spybot removal program keeps finding the same spyware after every scan. I found this in my start up menu (7410410f) and did not know what it was so I googled it and found that it is some kind of regenerating malware of some kind. I am not sure what to do to get rid of it now. Windows one care did not find it or remove it and the spybot software will not remove it.
Thank you for anything you could do to help me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,011 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 09 January 2009 - 10:40 AM

Hello BigRube and welcome to BC :thumbsup:

I am shifting this topic out of the HiJack This forum to the Am I Infected forum.

What is your operating system: Windows XP, Vista, etc.?

What security programs do you have installed besides OneCare and SpyBot?

Orange Blossom :flowers:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 ItWouldRuin

ItWouldRuin

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 09 January 2009 - 12:01 PM

Yo, pal.

Have you tried scanning your computer with tools such as Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and SuperAntiSpyware?

#4 BigRube

BigRube
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 09 January 2009 - 12:19 PM

To answer the questions, I am running Windows XP. I have windows One Care and AntiSpybot installed. I also just did some research about a line in my start up group that I did not recognize that said that it was a regenerating Trojan. I also found a thread that said that the AntiSpybot that I downloaded and payed 20 dollars for is really just a malware program to suck 20 bucks out of you and does not do anything. It said that it would tell you that you had spyware or malware on your computer even if you did not and then when you purchased the license for it clean the ware off but really just put more on it. I then found Spy Bot search and destroy. It removed several things (65 items) and my computer runs a little better, but I still get the pop up window when I open explorer of fire fox that says that I my have a virus and opens a web page to purchase an antivirus program that you can't close or make go away. So all of that said, I still have some sort of problem.
Thank you both again for taking the time to help me.

#5 ItWouldRuin

ItWouldRuin

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 11 January 2009 - 09:12 AM

What kind of Antivirus is it? Fake?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users