Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AVG is hosed; what's next?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 fcsnc

fcsnc

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 09 January 2009 - 12:08 AM

OK, I have been an AVG reseller for awhile ...

A little less than a year ago, of course, all 7.5 users were pushed to 8.0, with a fancier interface and a price increase.

In October, an update removed all Internet access for most of my users. That's not easy to fix.

In December, some of my customers ran into the following situation (from the AVG partner FAQ):

In case you are not able to run your Windows XP operating system after AVG 8.0 virus definition update, it may be caused by a false positive on a specific "user32.dll" system file. The file was moved to the AVG Virus Vault and deleted. Therefore it is not possible to start Windows.

That's what I call a problem! You can imagine what the "solution" is.

Today we have a new issue (AVG version 8.0.229) - CHKDSK (automatically fix errors) no longer works, giving the popular old error "Cannot open volume for direct access". Furthermore, you can't disable services or set /SAFEBOOT in msconfig.

So, what's next? I will NEVER go back to Norton *Anything*, as it is guaranteed to screw up your computer.

Kaspersky finds too many false positives and is, increasingly, a system hog.

Please help, I'm about to become really angry and frustrated.

(Betcha couldn't tell that)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users