Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Some advice please on new motherboard

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MrUnderpants

MrUnderpants

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 08 January 2009 - 10:33 PM

Hi all,

I was given a PC and well it's not too bad even if it's a little old,

CPU Type Intel Pentium 4, 3000 MHz (15 x 200)
Motherboard Name Hewlett-Packard HP d530 SFF(PD427UC)
Motherboard Chipset Intel Springdale-G i865G
System Memory 1536 MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
DIMM1: Team Group Team-Value-400 1 GB PC3200 DDR SDRAM (3.0-4-4-8 @ 200 MHz) (2.5-4-4-7 @ 166 MHz) (2.0-3-3-6 @ 142 MHz)
DIMM2: Samsung M3 68L6423FTN-CCC 512 MB PC3200 DDR SDRAM (3.0-3-3-8 @ 200 MHz) (2.5-3-3-7 @ 166 MHz)

What I would like to do here is turn this into a gaming PC for the kids, yes I know your all thinking I would not use this but money is tight, so I want to squeeze the most out of this and was thinking a new motherboard would be a good idea using the rest of the parts from this, but it's the compatibility of those parts thats making me a little jumpy, this one has an AGP slot and I need PCI-E x16

Could someone please point me in the direction of a motherboard that will get the best out of the parts, I have seen a PC with this CPU in and it flies along compared to this so . . . . ! any ideas please

If you need more info I can do an Everest output,

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechS...SeriesId=316727

This link is all I can find out about the PC but they do not give you all info, also I'm just breaking into the hardware side and I'm not confident enough to choose a new board, I have fitted two PC's with new boards and both worked fine so I'm not too worried about doing the work but I want to make sure I do not purchase the wrong one.

Thanks everyone for reading even if you did not help

Happy New Year all,

Phil

Edited by MrUnderpants, 08 January 2009 - 10:37 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 08 January 2009 - 11:23 PM

I don't think you have a viable plan. It looks to be a proprietary motherboard (based on Asus P450) in a slimline case. No guarantee if any standard board will fit and clear the drives, or use your stock cooling solution etc. That board also has a PCI extension header by the last PCI slot. That won't be there to use on an aftermarket replacement.

If it were mine, and I did not want to shell out for a major upgrade, I would get a good AGP card, maybe a 1gig stick of DDR, and call it a day. I also noticed 2 different sticks of memory, so it likely isn't in dual channel mode, so that is costing some performance. The big sticking point....... if it is a slimline case, a regular height AGP/PCI card won't (well, might not) fit, and that cuts your viable card choices to almost nothing. You also have to consider whether your stock PSU can power everything, and can you replace that with a generic ATX PSU that will fit the case. many slimlines use one off PSUs or modded 1U rack PSUs for power(like Dell slimlines).

You might have an uphill battle turning this into a gaming rig. It very well might not be economically feasable.

Edited by dpunisher, 08 January 2009 - 11:24 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 09 January 2009 - 01:23 AM

A slimline case is not the best option when it comes to a gaming PC. Parts are smaller, space is a premium, and cooling is a nightmare. Also, you may also be violating the Windows license if you install a motherboard different than the one you have now. In order to turn that PC into a decent gaming PC, you're going to have to replace almost everything. If you're going to go through all that effort, it would be easier to just simply build a new PC. How much are you willing to spend to upgrade? How much are you willing to spend to build a new PC? Remember, that many major PC manufacturers use proprietary parts making significant upgrades difficult.

Edited by DJBPace07, 09 January 2009 - 01:23 AM.

3939.png

#4 MrUnderpants

MrUnderpants
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 09 January 2009 - 09:59 PM

Sorry, my fault. I should have said that I'm not against a new case. My funds are tight but it can go into an old case thats larger, at least if I can find an old atx of say 300W+ then this will help with powering up any graphics and extra fans if needed. I have also managed to drop on a 7800GTX PCI-e card by chance and wanted to use it in this PC.

I have some bits lying around but I wanted to see if its possible to boost speed up for the more modern games,

I tried FarCry2 on this and it was struggling only because of the graphics bandwidth. If I can cure this area I'm sure (and you can correct me here if I'm wrong please) it would play well.

I was wondering if someone could advise me if what I'm rambling on about firstly makes sense and perhaps they could show me how to choose the correct CPU/Board combination 'how to choose' I tried the other night and I couldn't even positively identify what CPU I'm using. Yes Everest states Intel Pentium 4, 3000 MHz (15 x 200) but when you look at Intel there are a few Intel Pentium 4, 3000 MHz 's there.

How do you know which motherboard to use when some CPU's state you cannot use them with this chipset or that chipset. shortly afterwards I gave up,

Edited by MrUnderpants, 09 January 2009 - 10:06 PM.

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 09 January 2009 - 10:43 PM

Farcry 2 would be struggling on a Pentium 4, so it's not just your graphics card. In order to get a more powerful graphics card, you need a beefier power supply which might be difficult with an HP PC. It will also be difficult to put a new motherboard and CPU into that computer. The motherboard and certain connections might be proprietary. In order to replace the mobo and CPU, you would probably also need to change the RAM. If you're going to go that far, just build a new PC. How much are you willing to spend, in dollars?

3939.png

#6 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2009 - 11:27 PM

I guess it is all about what you expect from your system.

FarCry 2 is a CPU hog. It is one of the few games that really benefit from Quad core processors, I think UT3 is the other that is well optimized for multi core use. Just the minimum requirements of Farcry 2 spec a 3.2gig P4, and that will be a slide show on medium settings at 1024X768. At 1680X1050 it would be really anoying. You just get to the point where upgrading for the intended purpose is impossible. You really should figure on a new CPU/motherboard/memory along with your video card to make a cash outlay worthwhile. If you look around, even getting a new Socket 478 board is pretty tough, a Socket 478 with PCI-E was rare as heck even when they were still being made.

I can't really offer specific suggestions. I don't know your budget or what extra parts or operating systems you have to use on a new build. I priced a budget C2D/Gigabyte P45 motherboard and 2 gigs of DDR2 for sub $230US, and that was being generous. With rebates it is nearly a $200 deal now. I am sure you could go cheaper with an AMD system, maybe even go a low end AMD quad core as well. Figure another $50-$75 on a proper PSU with all the correct connectors.

Edited by dpunisher, 09 January 2009 - 11:28 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#7 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2009 - 11:27 AM

What do you know: http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?p=MB-P4M90M...37027bad3b276a0

Still have to get 2-4 gig of DDR2 though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users