Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mulitple Infections cleaned, looking for help rooting out anything additional left

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 Heikes

Heikes

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 08 January 2009 - 09:13 PM

On Dec 19th between 7 and 8 am, our computer started acting quite strangely. When browsing, additional and unrelated pages would sometimes load in addition to or in place of the requested page. My wife indicated that she may have clicked on some strange popup that had advised of spyware shortly before this began. Subsequent checks of mcafee.com, kaspersky.com, bleepingcomputer, and other antispyware and help sites were all blocked on the computer (page not found errors). Computer was then disconnected from the network and isolated about 40 minutes after she had clicked that popup.

AV program in place at the time (AVG free edition) detected no problems and was assumed to be compromised.

A scan of recently modified files indicated that something in the AVG directories was modified on or about the time the infection was assumed to have occurred. A further review showed that a series of hourly scheduled tasks had been set up. These have been removed and the file they looked to execute was deleted.

Attempted to install HJT, AdAware, Spybot S&D from memory stick and CD. Install of all was blocked.
Renamed HJT installer and was able to install HJT but didn't see anything obvious from that.

Did a safemode boot and installed avast. Performed a boot time scan and identified 'Trojan-Generic' and 'Win32:TIDSERV [TRJ]' as infecting system. including files TDSSrfdt.sys, TDSSedwv.dll, TDSSurgi.dll, TDSSvvfe.dll --- all were cleaned

A further scan (forget with which program) identified 'Trojan - TDSS (Rootkit)' and 'Trojan Fake Alert' on system. All cleaned as well.

A scan with GMER shows a continued infection of SYS32\Drivers\TDSSrfdt.sys (hidden) that is not cleaned by any method that I've come across yet.

Not sure what else to do here. I'm pretty sure I've gotten some of the gunk out, but haven't isolated anything furhter and am not comfortable that I've gotten this cleaned up fully.

Requested DDS file pasted below -- thanks for any help you can provide on this!
Brian

DDS (Ver_09-01-07.01) - NTFSx86
Run by Owner at 20:48:17.46 on Thu 01/08/2009
Internet Explorer: 7.0.5730.11 BrowserJavaVersion: 1.5.0_12
Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.1.2600.3.1252.1.1033.18.2046.1510 [GMT -5:00]

AV: avast! antivirus 4.8.1296 [VPS 090103-1] *On-access scanning enabled* (Updated)

============== Running Processes ===============

C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost -k DcomLaunch
svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs
svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLAcsd.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehRecvr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehSched.exe
C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe -k imgsvc
C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Common\ViewpointService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllhost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k HTTPFilter
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\dds.scr

============== Pseudo HJT Report ===============

BHO: Spybot-S&D IE Protection: {53707962-6f74-2d53-2644-206d7942484f} - c:\progra~1\spybot~1\SDHelper.dll
TB: {4E7BD74F-2B8D-469E-8CB0-AB60BB9AAE22} - No File
TB: {A057A204-BACC-4D26-9990-79A187E2698E} - No File
uRun: [ctfmon.exe] c:\windows\system32\ctfmon.exe
uRun: [Aim6]
mRun: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE c:\windows\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
mRun: [avast!] c:\progra~1\alwils~1\avast4\ashDisp.exe
IE: {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - c:\progra~1\spybot~1\SDHelper.dll
Trusted Zone: turbotax.com
SSODL: WPDShServiceObj - {AAA288BA-9A4C-45B0-95D7-94D524869DB5} - c:\windows\system32\WPDShServiceObj.dll

============= SERVICES / DRIVERS ===============

R1 aswSP;avast! Self Protection;c:\windows\system32\drivers\aswSP.sys [2008-12-20 111184]
R3 avast! Mail Scanner;avast! Mail Scanner;c:\program files\alwil software\avast4\ashMaiSv.exe [2008-12-20 254040]
R3 avast! Web Scanner;avast! Web Scanner;c:\program files\alwil software\avast4\ashWebSv.exe [2008-12-20 352920]
R4 aswFsBlk;aswFsBlk;c:\windows\system32\drivers\aswFsBlk.sys [2008-12-20 20560]
R4 avast! Antivirus;avast! Antivirus;c:\program files\alwil software\avast4\ashServ.exe [2008-12-20 155160]
R4 McrdSvc;Media Center Extender Service;c:\windows\ehome\mcrdsvc.exe [2005-8-5 99328]
R4 Viewpoint Manager Service;Viewpoint Manager Service;c:\program files\viewpoint\common\ViewpointService.exe [2007-10-10 24652]

=============== Created Last 30 ================

2008-12-21 21:46 <DIR> --d----- c:\program files\Enigma Software Group
2008-12-21 21:33 1,350 a------- c:\windows\system32\tmp.reg
2008-12-21 14:17 <DIR> --d----- c:\program files\Spybot - Search & Destroy
2008-12-21 14:17 <DIR> --d----- c:\docume~1\alluse~1\applic~1\Spybot - Search & Destroy
2008-12-21 13:50 250 a------- c:\windows\gmer.ini
2008-12-20 10:37 208,744 a------- c:\windows\system32\muweb.dll
2008-12-19 23:01 <DIR> --d----- C:\OTScanIt2
2008-12-19 22:39 15,504 a------- c:\windows\system32\drivers\mbam.sys
2008-12-19 22:39 38,496 a------- c:\windows\system32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys
2008-12-19 22:39 <DIR> --d----- c:\program files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
2008-12-19 22:39 <DIR> --d----- c:\docume~1\alluse~1\applic~1\Malwarebytes
2008-12-19 22:30 <DIR> --d----- c:\program files\Trend Micro
2008-12-19 21:30 <DIR> --d----- c:\program files\Bazooka Scanner
2008-12-19 07:33 441 a------- c:\windows\system32\TDSSiero.dat

==================== Find3M ====================

2008-12-12 00:57 78,336 a------- c:\windows\system32\Agent.OMZ.Fix.exe
2008-11-29 17:58 82,944 a------- c:\windows\system32\IEDFix.C.exe
2008-11-12 22:22 107,888 a------- c:\windows\system32\CmdLineExt.dll
2008-10-23 07:36 286,720 a------- c:\windows\system32\gdi32.dll
2008-10-16 15:38 826,368 a------- c:\windows\system32\wininet.dll
2008-10-16 14:06 268,648 a------- c:\windows\system32\mucltui.dll
2008-09-09 02:08 32,768 a--sh--- c:\windows\system32\config\systemprofile\local settings\history\history.ie5\mshist012008090920080910\index.dat

============= FINISH: 20:48:48.74 ===============

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Hoov

Hoov

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,519 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 22 January 2009 - 04:12 PM

Howdy, my name is Hoov, and I will be helping you with your dilemma. I appologize for the delay in getting you help.

Please make sure you watch this thread for responses. If you click the options tab at the top of your first post, you can select to track this thread.

Here is what I am asking you to do during the repair of your computer

*Tell me everything that you have done, if anything, to try and fix this problem.

*Please only use 1 forum to help clear up your problem. Posting on more than 1 and following instructions from more than 1 forum will cause those helping you to pull out thier hair.

*Follow my instructions - If you can't for some reason, or if you don't understand something, please tell me. If you deviate from my instructions, tell me, it may make a difference on where we go. Don't install anything, even other programs that have nothing to do with security or malware, it could cause things to change, and I would never know it.

*Have faith. I will do all I can to get your computer working, and if I can't - someone else here will know something else to try.

*Stick with me to the end. My aim is to fix your problems, and give you the tools and knowledge to keep this from happening again.

Now onto trying to fix your computer.

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link 1
alternate download link 2
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself.
  • Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install. Alternatively, you can update through MBAM's interface from a clean computer, copy the definitions (rules.ref) located in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from that system to a usb stick or CD and then copy it to the infected machine.
On the Scanner tab:
  • Make sure the "Perform Full Scan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
  • Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Regardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware. MBAM may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you after scanning with MBAM. Please temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.

It has been a while since you posted your log, if you still want help could you please post a new one?
Visiting From SpywareHammer.com and DonHoover.net

Tilting at windmills hurts you more than the windmills.
-From the Notebooks of Lazarus Long
Senior of the Howard Families

Posted Image

#3 Heikes

Heikes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2009 - 11:41 AM

Thanks for the help! I'm absolutely still interested in getting this cleaned up. Currently running MBAM as requested -- will post the requested information later today when the scan is finished.

Thanks,
Brian

#4 Heikes

Heikes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2009 - 09:21 PM

OK - I've run MBAM as requested, and in doing so was reminded that I've run it twice previously since this infection was first noticed. I'm pasting all three MBAM logs below - in chronological order from oldest to newest. Two were from December and were teh same day (log#1 and Log#2) - the first shows problems that were fixed, the second is a followup scan that same day which showed nothing new amiss. However, Log #3, from yesterday, shows a new Registry setting that wasn't in place in December during that 2nd scan... so looks like I still have something going on here as this computer is kept off network and is not used for browsing or any other activity other than document retrieval from it's HD (since I'm not yet confident enough to move any data from this PC to a clean machine).

Thanks!
Brian

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1st Log
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.31
Database version: 1456
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

12/21/2008 12:51:30 PM
mbam-log-2008-12-21 (12-51-30).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|)
Objects scanned: 216244
Time elapsed: 1 hour(s), 54 minute(s), 21 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 6
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 5

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\xml.xml (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\xml.xml.1 (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{500bca15-57a7-4eaf-8143-8c619470b13d} (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mozilla\MSFox (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\tdssdata (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\tdss (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\TDSSpuaq.dll (Trojan.TDSS) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Jackie\Local Settings\Temp\TDSSc92b.tmp (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Jackie\Local Settings\Temp\TDSSca34.tmp (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\TDSSobaw.dll (Rootkit.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\TDSSuyka.log (Trojan.TDSS) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2nd log
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.31
Database version: 1456

12/21/2008 8:27:12 PM
mbam-log-2008-12-21 (20-27-12).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 1
Time elapsed: 2 second(s)

Registry Keys Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3rd Log
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.33
Database version: 1691

01/25/2009 1:05:51 PM
mbam-log-2009-01-25 (13-05-51).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|)
Objects scanned: 206212
Time elapsed: 1 hour(s), 15 minute(s), 22 second(s)

Registry Keys Infected: 1
Files Infected: 0

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Typelib\{5d2631e5-8696-7543-50b2-f674cd4308eb} (Trojan.Fakealert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

#5 Hoov

Hoov

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,519 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2009 - 05:05 AM

OK, just to make sure scan with ComboFix.exe. Please visit this webpage for download links, and instructions for running the tool:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix/how-to-use-combofix

* Ensure you have disabled all anti virus and anti malware programs so they do not interfere with the running of ComboFix. Also make sure you close all your browsers just before the instructions tell you to start the scanner.

Please include the C:\ComboFix.txt in your next reply for further review.

Note:
Do not mouseclick combofix's window while it's running. That may cause it to stall

Posted Image

#6 Heikes

Heikes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2009 - 10:56 PM

OK - running now, will try to get the results posted tomorrow.

Thanks,
Brian

#7 Heikes

Heikes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2009 - 11:20 PM

Here is the combofix.txt file - looks like a few more things found here. Ran with Avast and Spybot scanning both disabled.
Brian

-------------------------------------------
Combofix.exe
-------------------------------------------

ComboFix 09-02-01.01 - Jackie 2009-02-01 23:01:49.1 - NTFSx86
Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.1.2600.3.1252.1.1033.18.2046.1566 [GMT -5:00]
Running from: c:\documents and settings\Jackie\Desktop\ComboFix.exe
AV: avast! antivirus 4.8.1296 [VPS 090126-0] *On-access scanning disabled* (Updated)
* Created a new restore point

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( Other Deletions )))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

c:\windows\system32\Agent.OMZ.Fix.exe
c:\windows\system32\dumphive.exe
c:\windows\system32\IEDFix.exe
c:\windows\system32\Process.exe
c:\windows\system32\SrchSTS.exe
c:\windows\system32\TDSSiero.dat
c:\windows\system32\tmp.reg
c:\windows\system32\VCCLSID.exe
c:\windows\system32\WS2Fix.exe

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( Drivers/Services )))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

-------\Legacy_TDSSSERV.SYS
-------\Service_TDSSserv.sys

((((((((((((((((((((((((( Files Created from 2009-01-02 to 2009-02-02 )))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

No new files created in this timespan

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( Find3M Report ))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
2009-02-02 00:16 --------- d-----w c:\documents and settings\All Users\Application Data\Google Updater
2009-01-30 22:56 --------- d-----w c:\program files\Firaxis Games
2009-01-25 16:35 --------- d-----w c:\program files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
2009-01-14 21:11 38,496 ----a-w c:\windows\system32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys
2009-01-14 21:11 15,504 ----a-w c:\windows\system32\drivers\mbam.sys
2008-12-23 13:28 --------- d-----w c:\program files\EVEMon
2008-12-22 02:48 --------- d-----w c:\program files\Enigma Software Group
2008-12-22 02:29 --------- d--h--w c:\program files\InstallShield Installation Information
2008-12-22 01:25 --------- d-----w c:\documents and settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy
2008-12-21 19:22 --------- d-----w c:\program files\Spybot - Search & Destroy
2008-12-21 19:19 --------- d-----w c:\program files\Common Files\Wise Installation Wizard
2008-12-21 19:18 --------- d-----w c:\documents and settings\All Users\Application Data\Lavasoft
2008-12-21 19:06 --------- d-----w c:\program files\Bazooka Scanner
2008-12-21 18:54 --------- d-----w c:\program files\Common Files\Blizzard Entertainment
2008-12-21 18:45 --------- d-----w c:\program files\Mind Benders A1 & A2
2008-12-21 18:43 --------- d-----w c:\program files\The Learning Company
2008-12-21 18:40 --------- d-----w c:\program files\UltraISO
2008-12-21 18:40 --------- d-----w c:\program files\Sunrise XP
2008-12-21 18:39 --------- d-----w c:\program files\Common Files\Real
2008-12-21 18:37 --------- d-----w c:\program files\JumpStart
2008-12-21 18:35 --------- d-----w c:\program files\James Discovers Math
2008-12-21 18:35 --------- d-----w c:\program files\HP
2008-12-21 18:29 --------- d-----w c:\program files\CapJaxMathFax
2008-12-21 13:42 --------- d-----w c:\documents and settings\Jackie\Application Data\Malwarebytes
2008-12-21 03:12 --------- d-----w c:\program files\Alwil Software
2008-12-21 01:54 --------- d-----w c:\documents and settings\All Users\Application Data\avg8
2008-12-20 03:39 --------- d-----w c:\documents and settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes
2008-12-20 03:30 --------- d-----w c:\program files\Trend Micro
2008-12-17 14:47 --------- d-----w c:\program files\Paint Shop Pro 6
2008-12-07 14:55 --------- d-----w c:\program files\QuickTime
2008-12-06 15:32 --------- d-----w c:\program files\iTunes
2008-12-06 15:32 --------- d-----w c:\program files\iPod
2008-12-06 15:32 --------- d-----w c:\program files\Common Files\Apple
2008-12-06 15:32 --------- d-----w c:\documents and settings\All Users\Application Data\{3276BE95_AF08_429F_A64F_CA64CB79BCF6}
2008-09-09 07:08 32,768 --sha-w c:\windows\system32\config\systemprofile\Local Settings\History\History.IE5\MSHist012008090920080910\index.dat

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( Reg Loading Points ))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
*Note* empty entries & legit default entries are not shown
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
"SpybotSD TeaTimer"="c:\program files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe" [2008-09-16 1833296]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
"NvCplDaemon"="c:\windows\system32\NvCpl.dll" [2008-10-07 13574144]
"avast!"="c:\progra~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe" [2008-11-26 81000]

[HKLM\~\startupfolder\C:^Documents and Settings^Owner^Start Menu^Programs^Startup^GameSpot Download Manager.lnk]
path=c:\documents and settings\Owner\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\GameSpot Download Manager.lnk
backup=c:\windows\pss\GameSpot Download Manager.lnkStartup

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\shared tools\msconfig\startupreg\ctfmon.exe]
--a------ 2008-04-13 19:12 15360 c:\windows\system32\ctfmon.exe

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\shared tools\msconfig\startupreg\HostManager]
--a------ 2007-05-25 12:16 42032 c:\program files\Common Files\aol\1177819764\ee\aolsoftware.exe

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\shared tools\msconfig\startupreg\iTunesHelper]
--a------ 2008-11-20 13:20 290088 c:\program files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\shared tools\msconfig\startupreg\MSMSGS]
--------- 2008-04-13 19:12 1695232 c:\program files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\shared tools\msconfig\startupreg\NBJ]
--a------ 2005-08-09 13:28 1961984 c:\program files\Ahead\Nero BackItUp\NBJ.exe

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\shared tools\msconfig\startupreg\NeroFilterCheck]
--------- 2001-07-09 10:50 155648 c:\windows\system32\NeroCheck.exe

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\shared tools\msconfig\startupreg\NvCplDaemon]
--a------ 2008-10-07 12:33 13574144 c:\windows\system32\nvcpl.dll

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\shared tools\msconfig\startupreg\QuickTime Task]
--a------ 2008-09-06 15:09 413696 c:\program files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\shared tools\msconfig\startupreg\Verizon_McciTrayApp]
--a------ 2007-06-06 18:52 936960 c:\program files\Verizon\McciTrayApp.exe

[HKLM\~\services\sharedaccess\parameters\firewallpolicy\standardprofile\AuthorizedApplications\List]
"c:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\aol\\acs\\AOLDial.exe"=
"c:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\aol\\acs\\AOLacsd.exe"=
"c:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\aol\\1177819764\\ee\\aolsoftware.exe"=
"c:\\Program Files\\AOL 9.0\\waol.exe"=
"c:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\aol\\TopSpeed\\3.0\\aoltpsd3.exe"=
"c:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\aol\\Loader\\aolload.exe"=
"c:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\aol\\System Information\\sinf.exe"=
"%windir%\\Network Diagnostic\\xpnetdiag.exe"=
"c:\\Program Files\\Firaxis Games\\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\\Civilization4.exe"=
"c:\\Program Files\\AIM6\\aim6.exe"=
"c:\\Program Files\\Firaxis Games\\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\\Beyond the Sword\\Civ4BeyondSword.exe"=
"c:\\Program Files\\Firaxis Games\\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\\Beyond the Sword\\Civ4BeyondSword_PitBoss.exe"=
"c:\\Program Files\\CCP\\EVE\\bin\\ExeFile.exe"=
"c:\\Program Files\\Third Day Games\\Gospel Champions - Volume 1\\Gospel.exe"=
"c:\\Program Files\\AOL 9.1\\waol.exe"=
"c:\\Program Files\\Bonjour\\mDNSResponder.exe"=
"c:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\sessmgr.exe"=
"c:\\Program Files\\Messenger\\msmsgs.exe"=
"c:\\Program Files\\iTunes\\iTunes.exe"=

[HKLM\~\services\sharedaccess\parameters\firewallpolicy\standardprofile\GloballyOpenPorts\List]
"3724:TCP"= 3724:TCP:Blizzard Downloader: 3724

R1 aswSP;avast! Self Protection;c:\windows\system32\drivers\aswSP.sys [2008-12-20 111184]
R2 aswFsBlk;aswFsBlk;c:\windows\system32\drivers\aswFsBlk.sys [2008-12-20 20560]
R2 Viewpoint Manager Service;Viewpoint Manager Service;c:\program files\Viewpoint\Common\ViewpointService.exe [2007-10-10 24652]
- - - - ORPHANS REMOVED - - - -

MSConfigStartUp-HP Software Update - c:\program files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
MSConfigStartUp-YSearchProtection - c:\program files\Yahoo!\Search Protection\SearchProtection.exe

------- Supplementary Scan -------
uStart Page = hxxp://www.cnn.com/
uInternet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = iexplore
IE: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - c:\progra~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000

catchme 0.3.1367 W2K/XP/Vista - rootkit/stealth malware detector by Gmer, http://www.gmer.net
Rootkit scan 2009-02-01 23:05:17
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 NTFS

scanning hidden processes ...

scanning hidden autostart entries ...

scanning hidden files ...

scan completed successfully
hidden files: 0

------------------------ Other Running Processes ------------------------
c:\program files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
c:\program files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
c:\program files\Common Files\aol\acs\AOLacsd.exe
c:\program files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
c:\windows\ehome\ehrecvr.exe
c:\windows\ehome\ehSched.exe
c:\program files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
c:\program files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
c:\windows\system32\nvsvc32.exe
c:\windows\ehome\mcrdsvc.exe
c:\windows\system32\dllhost.exe
c:\windows\system32\wscntfy.exe
Completion time: 2009-02-01 23:11:24 - machine was rebooted
ComboFix-quarantined-files.txt 2009-02-02 04:11:21

Pre-Run: 244,802,113,536 bytes free
Post-Run: 246,078,783,488 bytes free

WindowsXP-KB310994-SP2-Pro-BootDisk-ENU.exe
[boot loader]
timeout=2
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
c:\cmdcons\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Media Center Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

170 --- E O F --- 2008-12-22 06:06:42

#8 Hoov

Hoov

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,519 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2009 - 11:45 PM

How is the computer running now? Any other issues?

Posted Image

#9 Heikes

Heikes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2009 - 08:28 PM

Well, I've been poking around with it to see what I can find, and the only issue I've run across is with IE certificates.

Seems that when I go to Kaspersky.com to try to run their free online scanner, IE pops up the little yellow bar under the address bar and says the site is trying to run an activeX control.

Given that this is coming from Kaspersky -- I click the information bar and say 'Install ActiveX control'

At that point IE pops a dialog and states:

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Windows has blocked this software because it can't verify the publisher.

Name: us/
Publisher: Unknown Publisher
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Never had this type of problem prior to getting this machine infected, and none of my other machines has this problem. I've tried reseting IE options to the default shipping options, from the Tools ... Internet options menu item (Advanced tab), but that has made no difference.

I'm unclear if this is a side effect of the infection, or an indication of a further infection on my system.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Brian

#10 Hoov

Hoov

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,519 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2009 - 11:51 PM

Go here

Posted Image

#11 Heikes

Heikes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2009 - 10:55 PM

No joy with the link solving the problem. I used the link provided and was taken to the Verisign page where I manually had to update the cert. However, even after that, I got the same blocked warning.

However, I then installed the newest version of Java and then it appeared to kick off the Kaspersky scan... so that is currently running. I can't think of anything additional that is going wrong with the PC at this time, so it feels clean.....

I will continue to watch and monitor traffic to see what else may be happening with it.

Thanks for all your help!

Brian

#12 Hoov

Hoov

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,519 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2009 - 11:00 PM

Run it on the internet for a day and see if anything is up. Then come back and let me know how its going. Make sure you reboot a few times. If you still are not having problems, we can do a few cleanup items and call it good.

Posted Image

#13 Hoov

Hoov

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,519 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2009 - 05:33 PM

This thread is closed due to inactivity.
If you need this topic reopened, please send me a PM. This applies to the thread originator only, all others start a new thread.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users