Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New USB PCI card won't allow computer to start

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 transcora

transcora

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 08 January 2009 - 08:51 PM

Hello, first of all I'll explain my problem and then give the more technical specifications, I hope that manner is quite alright.

I have an older computer that still has USB 1.1. I know, it's lame. So instead of shelling out the cash that I should, I decided to continue being a cheap sunovagun and just opted to buy a USB 2.0 PCI card. When I put the card in, the computer will start for less than a second and then nothing. Once removed, my computer started up, got past the login screen, and then automatically restarted twice, giving me a 'The system has recovered from a serious error' or a similarly phrased error, suggesting that it may be a hardware issue.

I have tested the card in more than one slot(I only had two open) and a no go in either. In all instances the card was cleanly pushed in all of the way into the computer.

If anyone has anything that can help, I would appreciate any assitance.

For more specifications, I have a Dell Dimension XPS B600r. I have added a secondary hard drive, and a 128MB video card, NVidia Ti 4200, which I do use the s video on to use my television as a second monitor. I have added a LiteOn 20X DVD writer, as well as a generic wired ethernet card. Those are in addition to the standard HD/cd writer/processor/ram. I have a Pentium 3 gigahertz processer with 256 megs of Ram.

There are five slots, plus the video card slot. From the buttom up, the bottom slot has my sound card, then there is a blank space, then my unused modem, then my ethernet card, then another blank space.

This is the card I purchased and recieved tonight.

Any help would be much appreciated.

PS Windows XP SP3 with all the latest updates.

Edited by transcora, 08 January 2009 - 09:11 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 08 January 2009 - 09:14 PM

The first suspect is the card - can you send it back for an exchange?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 transcora

transcora
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2009 - 09:16 PM

Can't say. The card was cheap, but if I have to pay to ship it back it would cost me five bucks, after I spent five on it in the first place and five to ship back. So if it came down to that, seems like I could just get another card. But I can't call them until tommorow.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2009 - 09:38 PM

Older computer with USB 1.0?

May need a BIOS update...that would be my guess.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users