Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Removed HD from 98 Machine ... Need Advice

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 347t2xw

347t2xw

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 08 January 2009 - 08:12 PM

We had a computer we purchased in 1999 finally quit working a few months ago. I purchased a IDE to USB 2.0 adaptor. My XP computer reads the hard drive ... but the funny thing is, the information on it stops being saved in Aug. 2006. My daughter, who used the computer most, claims she saved stuff up until April of this year. Does anyone know how I might be able to find it?

THANKS!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2009 - 08:49 PM

Well...there is a possibility that the CMOS battery ran down at some point.

When that happens, the system clock is reset to the wrong date and time...the user/owner must change it or it will remain incorrect. Then the date stamps on all files moved or changed will be incorrect.

Happened to me (I was unaware that the date had changed in the BIOS) :thumbsup:.

I'd like to say "not likely" but it can happen.

You can compare the created date of system files and other files. If no system files were created after a given date, that is highly unlikely (due to security updates).

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 08 January 2009 - 08:50 PM.

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,971 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 08 January 2009 - 08:49 PM

Is the Aug 2006 date based on the created/modified dates on the files, or on knowing that work from after that date is not there?

If the clock in the Win98 system was wrong, files could have been saved with the wrong date recorded - you'd need to examine the contents of files to see if it is actually stuff saved last year.

If there is definitely files missing from after April 2006, then a file recovery program such as Recuva or PC Inspector could be installed onto the XP computer and used to see if missing or deleted files can be recovered from the drive.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 347t2xw

347t2xw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2009 - 09:19 PM

I think we can close this issue. I took a hard drive out of the wrong machine.

Thanks for the advice!

Edited by 347t2xw, 08 January 2009 - 09:49 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users