Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Porting Malwarebytes to infected computer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rogerf

rogerf

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 08 January 2009 - 07:15 PM

Hi everyone .. I'm new here...

Neighbor's PC is infected with perhaps many things... one of which is likely AV2009. Reading the various posts I see similar problems, and Malwarebytes seem like a commonly recommended solution. Symptoms are redirected web searches, AV2009 false detection notices/offer to buy, andvarious other bogus offers. I did delete some of the AV2009 files manually, and removed it from startup.

IE and Firefox act similar... when I try to go various MBAM download sites I get msgs saying site can't be found. Some sites, like Hotmail, MSN, and some other sites work fine, so Internet connection is working. I downloaded, installed, and updated MBAM on my computer ... scanning worked fine here (even found a few things here that I need to look at closer). I then moved the MBAM folder via CD over to the infected computer. When I try to run MBAM I get the hourglass for a few sconds and then nothing happens. I tried disabling their AV software, tried it in safe mode, tried it after renaming MBAM, and still can't get it running on this infected PC.

I did get Adaware downloaded... it found nothing. Their PC Cillan AV product also came up scan-free.

Any suggestions before I need to to admit to my neighbor that I've run out of options?

Thanks!!

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 08 January 2009 - 07:21 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

Have you tried removing the hard...slaving it to your system...and then doing the various scans from your system?

Louis

#3 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 08 January 2009 - 08:28 PM

I then moved the MBAM folder via CD over to the infected computer.

Malwarebytes needs to be installed on the infected machine, not copied
from the other PC.

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,780 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 11 January 2009 - 08:36 AM

I removed a duplicate topic from the XP forum where you indicated you resolved the issue and started a new thread to share your fix solution. Please do not start new threads or duplicate topics as this causes confusion. Also read the pinned sticky How do I get help? Who is helping me?.

With that said, you used a solution that worked on older versions of this malware so it is not always going to work on newer variants. Are you sure the machine is clean? Can you post the results of your MBAM scan for review?

To retrieve the MBAM scan log information, launch MBAB.
Click the Logs Tab at the top.
mbam-log-2008-10-12(13-35-16).txt should show in the list. <- your dates will be different from this exampe
Click on the log name to highlight it.
Go to the bottom and click on Open.
The log should automatically open in notepad as a text file.
Go to Edit and choose Select all.
Go back to Edit and choose Copy or right-click on the highlighted text and choose copy from there.
Come back to this thread, click Add Reply, then right-click and choose Paste.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users