Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Hard drive help

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Fishticky

Fishticky

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 21 May 2005 - 01:29 PM

Hey, i have a zd7000 dell laptop with Windows XP (Service Pack 1). I recently bought a seagate 300 GB external hard drive to store extra data, such as music and movie files. This drive works fine most of the time, as i have put nearly 80 GB of data/music/movies on it, and whenever i take or put stuff on it, there are no problems.

The difficulty arises however, when i try to actually play music or movies on the hard drive (I play the music or movies through windows media player on my laptop, but the actual movie/song is on the external hard drive.). After some time of playing the song or movie (this has been very long, as much as an hour, to short, as much as half a minute), the hard drive will make a fairly loud spring/click noise, and no more data will interact with the laptop. I am forced to shut off the hard drive, and turn it back on (the external one, not the laptop's) in order to get it working again.

My question is, is this a normal occurance with external harddrives, or is mine faulty in some way? And, if this isn't a normal occurance, if there is a known solution, or if i would need to replace/repair the hard drive.

I connect the external hard drive to my laptop via USB 2.0, and i only turn it on when i use it.

Also, the external hard drive is FAT32, while my computer is NTFS (don't know if that makes a difference)

-Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 21 May 2005 - 10:58 PM

Check your manual for some sort of "duty cycle" limit on the external hard drive, but I don't think there should be one. That's not normal behaviour imho. It could be overheating or some kind of power problem - does it get all its power from the USB interface or does it have a power pack? Try another USB port or if you have a USB powered hub try a port on that.
The next time the drive is operational do a scandisk, with error correction, on it and look for reported errors. The scandisk will probably take over an hour so the drive may not stay up long enough to complete but its worth a try.
The FAT32/NTFS difference is not the problem.

Edited by Rimmer, 21 May 2005 - 11:03 PM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 Fishticky

Fishticky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 22 May 2005 - 02:39 AM

Ah, thanks for the help!

Right now i'm doing a scandisk, so hopefully i can see if there are any problems...

But, there is an external power supply, so i doubt that's the problem. I guess overheating could be an issue, I'll try standing the drive upright instead of on its side (it's suppossed to be able to do both and still work fine).

Also, as another option for a connection between the hard drive and my laptop, i can use a firewire cable. Would that provide any better results?

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 22 May 2005 - 03:00 AM

If you have a cable you could try it, but I don't think the Firewire interface will make any difference - the speed is much the same as USB 2. I'm afraid you're looking at a hard drive problem.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users