Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

can not download anything

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 adtyka

adtyka

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 08 January 2009 - 06:26 PM

Please help. I start college in 3 days and need microsoft word but can not download it. I have XP home and everytime I try to download anything a box pops up that reads:

Internet Explorer cannot download.

Internet Explorer was not able to open this Internet site. The requested site is either unavailable or cannot be found. Please try again later.

Its been doing this for a while. Thanks for everyones help.

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 08 January 2009 - 06:31 PM

I don't have a solution your IE issue, but I can suggest try a different browser (Firefox, Seamonkey, Opera, etc).
You may be able to download Word with one of them. If it works, at least you'll have the program and an alternate browser while you sort out your IE issues.

#3 adtyka

adtyka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2009 - 06:49 PM

I tried to download a new browser and it wont let me. It says the same thing. Oh yeah I also have alot of free space so it cant be that.

#4 ePost

ePost

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2009 - 07:17 PM

This sounds an awful lot like malware. It's one of the clear signs when you can't download anything. ComboFix is a tool that you should not run without supervision from experts but if you just let it run and let it do it's own thing that might clear out the problem. If ComboFix wants to reboot your PC - let it do so. Don't fix anything yourself - just let ComboFix take down what it wants and then uninstall it.

Then there probably will be residue left. You can take that out with SUPERAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. Run them one by one - full scans. Here you have the 3 download links:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix/how-to-use-combofix
http://www.superantispyware.com/
http://www.malwarebytes.org/

In order to get these programs into your PC you'll need to reboot into safe mode with network. The moment your PC starts to wake up after the reboot command you begin tapping the F8 key - tap - tap - tap. Keep tapping. Login as administrator when the welcome screen pops up. When you get a black screen with some options on it - use the arrow keys to navigate to the "with network" option. Then start IE and go to the sites and download the programs.

Safe mode is very likely to be able to bypass what ever it is that's blocking all downloads right now. It usually does.

Apparently this malware is playing tricks with your usual anti-virus programs. This happens quite frequently now a days.

Another possibility is a blockage in your installer.Dial-A-Fix usually takes care of that. However: since you write that it's an IE problem chances are a bit low. Link: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/160132/how-to-use-dial-a-fix-to-repair-windows-internals-problems/

Edited by ePost, 08 January 2009 - 08:10 PM.

#5 ePost

ePost

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2009 - 07:36 PM

You are aware that it takes for ever to get Word or the Office Pack downloaded? You sit there and wait and wait and nothing happens. This download is very big and heavy so have patience.

#6 adtyka

adtyka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2009 - 07:41 PM

It wont let me install anything either. I did wait but the same message pops up. If any of the programs have to be downloaded or installed it wont let me do it.

#7 ePost

ePost

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2009 - 08:01 PM

Boot in safe mode with network. Use that F8 key.That will let you install the programs necessary. You do need to identify the problem via the programs I recommended for you. They are the most acknowledged software for issues like this. BleepingComputer recommend these programs and rightfully so.

Edited by ePost, 08 January 2009 - 08:02 PM.

#8 ePost

ePost

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2009 - 08:40 PM

Did you try that safe mode?

#9 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 AM

Posted 08 January 2009 - 09:18 PM

ComboFix should not to be discussed outside the HijackThis forums and then only when requested by a HJT Team member. It is an extremely powerful tool which should only be used when instructed to do so by someone who has been properly trained. ComboFix is intended by its creator to be "used under the guidance and supervision of an expert", NOT for private use. Please read Combofix's Disclaimer. Using this tool incorrectly could lead to disastrous problems with your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again.

@adtyka - Please refrain from running ComboFix unless asked by a staff member in the HJT forums.

Thanks
rigel
BleepingComputer Forums Moderator

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#10 karbo1

karbo1

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2009 - 09:34 PM

Try this:

Go to Start, Run, type gpedit.msc, press enter

User Configuration
Administrative Templates
Internet Explorer
Internet Control Panel
Security Page
Internet Zone

"Allow file downloads"

See if it's disabled.
Please post back if we found the solution

#11 funnytim

funnytim

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 PM

Posted 08 January 2009 - 10:07 PM

Try this:

Go to Start, Run, type gpedit.msc, press enter

User Configuration
Administrative Templates
Internet Explorer
Internet Control Panel
Security Page
Internet Zone

"Allow file downloads"

See if it's disabled.

If that doesn't work (ie. it's not disabled), see if you can download anything at all..

#12 adtyka

adtyka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2009 - 11:53 PM

When I tried to run that it a box pops up and reads
Windows cannot find 'gpedit.msc'.

#13 adtyka

adtyka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2009 - 12:14 AM

I tried it in safe networking mode and went to all of the links but every time I tried I got a box that said
The Windows installer service could not be accessed. This can occur if you are running Windows in safe mode or if Windows installer is not correctly installed.
How do I reinstall Window installer if it was on the computer when I got it?

#14 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 09 January 2009 - 12:55 AM

See if anything here helps you: Please note the solution involves editing the registry. It does give step-by-step instructions, but if you are hesitant to edit your registry, don't do it.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315346

#15 ePost

ePost

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2009 - 02:15 AM

You really should run some malware scannings before trying to install updates. Installing updates on a dirty computer is a bad idea. If it was my PC I would use Safe Mode with network to get those anti-malware programs installed. There are a number of ways this could have happened but it is very likely that malware did this.

By the way: try to check your Quarantine in your usual anti-malware programs and see if the missing file is there. You should also check when your safety programs last updated their definitions. Are you able to run them?

Edited by ePost, 09 January 2009 - 02:28 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users