Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sound not working

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jhdeav

jhdeav

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 21 May 2005 - 01:12 PM

A friend recently gave me computer(would not boot up) she no longer wanted after purchasing a new one. I reformatted thd HDD and installed WinXP PRO,SP2, and all available updates. Yesterday I hooked speakers up to it for the first time and am not getting any sound. The device manager shows there are no drivers installed, i.e. the dreaded yellow question mark is showing. The driver is apparently a Via ac97 enhanced audio controller after running Everest and a file search shows there are cab files in the drivers section in the windows folder. Now the question. How do I reinstall the driver files if they already exist or do I need to search the web for this driver? Thanks, any help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 21 May 2005 - 02:12 PM

If there are mfg's drivers available, I would always prefer using those.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 21 May 2005 - 11:34 PM

Use Everest to find out what kind of motherboard you have, then search the motherboard manufacturers website for sound drivers for that board with your operating system. Those are the drivers you need.
If you find some they will be in the form of a self installing driver (hopefully) so all you have to do is run the exe file and it should do the rest.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users