Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Repair XP Pro with Install Disk

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Nightfire-Player

Nightfire-Player

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 PM

Posted 08 January 2009 - 03:28 PM

I need some help if anyone can.

My nan has an old pc which has been rebuilt several times fomr different things so I dont know the specs.

The other day when I turned it on it would not boot, it just froze on "Searching for boot records from IDE-0 ..". Since then I have got the Win XP Pro Install disc and have replaced several files that it said were all missing, ntoskernl,isapnp.sys, etc, etc.

And finally today I was given the choice to Repair the installed version of windows. I chose this option and it said deleting files, creating list of needed files, copying new files. It then says the computer needs to reboot to continue.

Once rebooted it shows the Xp Pro splash screen (hadnt seen it for days). Then a blue screen appears saying "The setup is now being restarted ........." and then it resarts again. This is where it seems stuck in a loop. It just keeps rebooting each time it reaches the screen saying "setup is now being restarted".

Can anyone offer any suggestion??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 08 January 2009 - 04:12 PM

Hard drive diagnostic before the install effort?

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

You'll have to open the case and look at the hard drive and see which specific manufacturer website you need to go to in order to download the appropriate diagnostic.

Louis

#3 Nightfire-Player

Nightfire-Player
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2009 - 01:38 PM

It has a WD hdd and I tried using the WD data utility and ran both the quick test and the extended test. Both of these said "No Errors Found".

So it still will not come out of this rebooting loop when it gets to "Setup is now restarting ....."

What would be next to try?

Edited by Nightfire-Player, 09 January 2009 - 01:38 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,573 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2009 - 03:41 PM

I would try running the chkdsk /r command from the Recovery Console of the MS XP install CD.

If the hard drive is good, then it should be an XP problem.

We'll start with the basics :thumbsup:.

pirules3.14 - How to use CHKDSK in the XP Recovery Console - http://pirules3.14.googlepages.com/recovery_console_chkdsk

Louis

#5 Nightfire-Player

Nightfire-Player
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2009 - 04:31 PM

Have done that already and it all seemed fine. Also I had previously run it several times before I was finally given the Repair option from the Install disc.

#6 lowtek_otc

lowtek_otc

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 09 January 2009 - 06:12 PM

This has worked many times for me with a reboot loop.

DO NOT SKIP STEPS! Read the entire guide and note how it is 3 pages long (you need to click page 2, page 3)

http://thinkinginpixels.com/quick-fixes/fi...onlog-off-loop/

#7 Nightfire-Player

Nightfire-Player
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2009 - 07:06 AM

Somehow I think this is going to be a write off because nothing will work and I see no obvoius reason for it to be stuck in a reboot loop and not to complete the repair installation.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,573 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2009 - 07:44 AM

Have you tried running the fixmbr and/or the fixboot commands from the XP CD's Recovery Console?

From what I read, indications are that it's a corrupt boot problem, which one of those commands may fix. Nothing to lose by trying either/both. I tend to try fixmbr before trying fixboot, while some will try them both...it's your preference :thumbsup:.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/termsf/p/fixboot.htm

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/r_c_cmds.htm

Louis

#9 Nightfire-Player

Nightfire-Player
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2009 - 01:47 PM

Yeah I have tried both fixmbr and fix boot and neither have made a difference it is still stuck in the reboot loop when it tries to restart the repair setup.

#10 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 13 January 2009 - 04:17 PM

You could try the bootcfg /rebuild command from the Recovery Console.

Are there any important files on that computer that you want? If not I would just go for a format/reinstall.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#11 Nightfire-Player

Nightfire-Player
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2009 - 04:27 PM

Im sure I tried that too but I will give it a go tomorrow and see.

Yeah I need some of the pictures and word documents off it and ideally I need the list of email address from outlook. But one thing I did notice is that when I was able to copy files accross from the install cd to the windows folder on the hdd I couldnt see the Program Files folder "C:\Program Files\ etc" So I'm not even sure if it is still there or if it is just unavailable until the problems are fixed and all back working again.

#12 Nightfire-Player

Nightfire-Player
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2009 - 01:25 PM

I tried the "fixmbr" and the "fixboot" commands once again today and the problem is still the same. Its completely stuck in this reboot loop and I don't think there will be any way to fix this problem as nothing at all so far has worked.

I have now decided that it's a dead project and will start looking for a complete new pc for them.

#13 rosiesdad

rosiesdad

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 PM

Posted 14 January 2009 - 02:19 PM

Seems I read that there was an issue about using the Repair option if you have IE7 and or SP3.
(memeory bad, you cant have IE7, and you have to have the XP disk slipstreamed to the same SP level thats on the computer???)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users