Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Log Into Windows XP Home

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 mojavestorm

mojavestorm

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 08 January 2009 - 03:12 PM

Hey guys, sorry to put my problems off on everyone, but I've spent many hours trying to figure this out and still at a dead end. Any help is appreciated.

I'm trying to fix a friends computer because of crazy intense malware problems, and I used Autoruns to delete some of the start up programs since I was unable to run any sort of scan, and basically couldn't do anything on Windows.

In my search I found userinit.exe and looked in the bleepingcomputer database, and all I saw was red X's, so I figured this was something running that didn't need to be. And you guessed it, I deleted userinit.exe and I am no longer able to log into windows.

I downloaded a windows XP cd (legit, not pirated) and I went into recovery console and attempted a fix that has been working for everyone else on the internet.

After choosing the C:\Windows installation and entering the admin password, I type the following

cd system32 [enter]
copy userinit.exe wsaupdater.exe [enter]

Console says to me:

"The system cannot find the file specified."

so I typed

dir wsa*

"No matching files were found."

I also searched for userinit.exe and it of course wasn't there.

So I guess my problem is that I have some System32 files missing and I'm not sure how to restore them. I tried accessing F:\Windows (on the boot cd) but the access is denied.

I am completely stuck, and reformatting really isn't an option. I appreciate the help and time! Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,732 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 PM

Posted 08 January 2009 - 04:07 PM

The way to restore missing system files:

a. The sfc /scannow command

LEARN how to use SFC.EXE (system file checker) in this article! - http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

b. Repair install of XP

How to perform a repair installation of Windows XP if Internet Explorer 7 is installed - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=917964

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install (Stevens) - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

I'm curious as to what website you used to download a legitimate copy of any version of XP, I may want to use it :thumbsup:.

Louis

#3 mojavestorm

mojavestorm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2009 - 04:36 PM

Hey Louis, thanks for the quick reply.

As I am unable to log into windows, I can't go to start> run> sfc /scannow. I can access the Recovery Console, but I am unsure of where sfc.exe is located, will I be able to run it from the recovery console?

I was unable to try http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=917964 as I cannot log into Windows. :thumbsup:

I attempted http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm earlier and when I choose which installation to repair, there was no "R" option for me, so I exited and tried going into recovery console and typed "bootcfg." As the guide instructed in Warning #2

What I got was a list of all the /actions for the bootcfg, and I was unsure of which one to use, I'm unsure if you know which one I should use or not.

I was able to attain a legitimate copy of Windows XP through an EAST program in my area that I am part of. They have a contract/deal with Microsoft to allow them to download and order free copies of their products (from a select list). It's pretty cool, but sorry I'm unable to share it with you as it requires login :flowers:. It would be handy if Microsoft did just hand out repair cd's for free, haha

Thanks for your time with this.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 08 January 2009 - 06:12 PM

You'll have to extract userinit.exe from an install CD (as I recall there's different versions for SP2 and SP3) and place it back in the System32 sub-directory.

Then, if it still doesn't work, you may have to go registry diving to restore the userinit entry in the registry.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2009 - 06:30 PM

I'm curious as to what website you used to download a legitimate copy of any version of XP, I may want to use it

You'd have to go back to school, Louis :thumbsup:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EAST_Initiative

http://www.eastinitiative.org/
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 mojavestorm

mojavestorm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2009 - 06:42 PM

You'll have to extract userinit.exe from an install CD (as I recall there's different versions for SP2 and SP3) and place it back in the System32 sub-directory.

Then, if it still doesn't work, you may have to go registry diving to restore the userinit entry in the registry.

Is there a way to go around the access denied on the CD? I tried nabbing the userinit.exe from it but it said access denied :thumbsup:

If not, can anyone guide me in registry diving? Never done it from recovery console lol.

Thanks for the help guys

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,732 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2009 - 07:09 PM

Thanks, Mark :thumbsup:...I tried looking it up via Google and gave up when I tagged Eastern Association for the Surgery of Trauma.

I've been clueless before and will be again (it goes so well with me) :flowers:.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 08 January 2009 - 07:10 PM.

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2009 - 08:38 PM

You can download copies of XP from TechNet or MSDN - if you're a subscriber.
Last I checked the subscription ran $1400 a year :thumbsup:

Edited by usasma, 08 January 2009 - 08:38 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,732 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2009 - 08:57 PM

Thanks, John.

I've learned a few things today, hopefully my brain will retain them :thumbsup:.

Louis

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2009 - 09:15 PM

I learn something new here every day.
Even with the Alzheimers (or maybe it just seems new?)

#11 mojavestorm

mojavestorm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2009 - 07:41 PM

If I copy a valid userinit.exe file from the installation .iso i burned to the disk, will I be able to burn that as a data disc and use that in the recovery console and insert it into C:\Windows\SYSTEM32?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users