Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Getting task scheduler to wake computer and run app

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 nzdreamer55

nzdreamer55

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 AM

Posted 08 January 2009 - 01:53 PM

Hello everyone,

The issue that I need some help with setting up a program that records live web streams called AV replayer. So far it has worked great when I am at the computer or when the computer is left on. I get audio shows that are streamed from my local radio station recorded that I can listen to later when I get home from work.

I want to use less electricty in my house so I want to use the task scheduler to wake my computer from a sleep state (maybe from a hibernation state-less power consumed in this state by just a little) and then start AV replayer for the duration of the show and have the computer resume the previous state (sleep/hibernate).

I have two computers to chose from. A HP desktop running Windows XP SP2, 4g RAM, multiple drives, AMD duo processor and a Toshiba laptop running Windows Vista Home premium SP1, 2g RAM, 1 HD, intel duo processor (1.5GHz).

Both systems have passwords associated with my user accounts, however my wife's account, which is only on the desktop does not have a password.

The Problem I have is creating a task to launch an application from a sleep state.

Let's just talk about the lap top and creating a test task on thevista operating system.

Here is what I have tried.

I launch the task scheduler and create a new task using the basic task action on the right. I give it the name "Launch Quicktime". No description. I click the next button and click the radio button one time, as I am testing this new task, and then click next button. I set the start date and time to 5 minutes from now (the universal time check box is not checked. Then I click next button. I click the start a program radio button and then next. The next screen allows me to browse to the quicktime application. I locate it in the quicktime folder in the program files folder on my C: drive. I select the quicktimeplayer.exe. and click on the open button. In the box now is a path to the application "C:\Program Files\Quick Time\QuickTimePlayer.exe". It is in quotes in the box too. There are 2 text boxes below labeled add arguments and start in which are left blank. I click the next button. Finally, there is a check box on the last screen that lists the name, description, trigger, action and a box to open the properties dialog for this task when I click Finish. So I check this box then click the finish button.

The properties for this task opens. The general tab lists the name of the task, the author as "KIP\Steve"(this is my computers name and my user account name) as well as other info. I click on the radio button run whether user is logged on or not and I check the run with highest privileges box. The hidden box is not checked. I select the Conditions tab and under Power I check the wake the computer to run this task box and remove the check from both the start the task only if the computer on AC power and stop if the computer switches to battery power. BTW the computer will be on AC power to run the test. I have not changed any other settings in the properties window. When I click the ok button to close the properties window it asks for user account information for running this task. There is my user name KIP\Steve and I type in my password then click the O.k. button. The properties window closes. I close the task scheduler. I log off. I put the computer into sleep mode by selecting it from the drop down menu located next to the red power button on the screen.

I wait and the computer does not come on. It almost seems to be off instead of sleep. I push the on button and get the BIOS start up screen. Windows launches and I log into my user account. I launch the task scheduler and under the Task Status my task named Launch quicktime shows that the last run time as Never.

I tried again, but create a new task like before changing the trigger time but this time didnít log out from my account and just put the computer into the sleep mode. This time the power light stays on. The time passed and the computer screen didnít come one. I move the mouse and log in to my user account. I launch the Task Scheduler and see in the task status area my new schedule task run result is Success, started at 10:29:59 and ended the run at 10:30.00.

The Quicktime player is not opened.

So what am I doing wrong? Why didnít the computer log in and launch the quick time player?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Steve

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nzdreamer55

nzdreamer55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 AM

Posted 10 January 2009 - 10:02 PM

Thanks for those who took a look at this. Since this is a pretty hard thing to trouble shot, can anyone point me to a web site that gets into how the task scheduler works?

Thanks

Steve

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 11 January 2009 - 11:37 AM

Sorry I can't be of any help. You might try browsing around Sourceforge to see if anything there will work:

http://sourceforge.net/

http://3d2f.com/tags/task/scheduler/wake/hibernate/

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums...e-657ee9232294/

http://windows-schedule-hibernate.qarchive.org/
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users