Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Memory problems

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Sea Holliday

Sea Holliday

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 08 January 2009 - 12:49 PM

Running a Medion MIM120, XP, with service pack 3.
When I ran a Crucial memory scan it told me there was 256 MB of memory of memory, with plenty of room to install more.
Local Drive © properties, tells me that the Total Capacity is 37.0 GB. Of this used space is 9.77 GB, free space 27.GB.
TuneUp system information tells me there is 248 MB of memory, 78℅ used.

The problem I’m having is that normally Task Manager tells me I have 37 processes running, but when I connect to the internet either with Firefox, (preferred), or with Internet Explorer, sometimes before it has even connected or shortly after it, the computer freezes and I have to open the task manager again, which will then tell me there are anything between 60 to 103 processes running, and tells me “Firefox not responding”, then it lists “Windows Task Manager running” repeatedly. I have to then shut all these processes down, including Firefox.
My ISP is BT internet and I connect wirelessly with a home hub. The connection manager tells me the speed is 48Mbps, strength excellent. Can anyone tell me if I put in more memory will this solve the problem, or is there something else I should do? As a pensioner I really can’t afford to have a professional deal with this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 AM

Posted 08 January 2009 - 01:11 PM

I don't know how you are running XP with that little memory. If your processes jump that much just by getting online, I would suggest a virus/malware scan first. this just sounds like a malware problem. Getting any strange popups?

As far as memory, add more. I can't imagine XP with less than 512meg. Your hard drive has to be thrashing constantly using virtual memory with 256meg. I would prefer at least 1gig total memory for smooth operation.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users