Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Optical mouse

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kostom

kostom

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 08 January 2009 - 12:31 PM

I also have a (Dell) XPS GEN 4. Originally there was a Dell 993 Monitor I just recently I got a Samsung SyncMaster 24" flat panel. in the display properties it comes up as Generic Plug and Play, my problem is with the Optical mouse (Dell) it just stops working I have to unplug then plug it back in then it works for a while. sometimes for a few minutes or sometimes the whole day. I've also tried plugging into the back of my keyboard as it has 2 USB ports but when do that a window pops up saying it would be faster if i used a different port gives you a list. what would cause this to happen??? Monitor...

thanx :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 darkslategrey

darkslategrey

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 08 January 2009 - 09:06 PM

Try leaving it plugged into the keyboard, a mouse is not a incredibly complicated device and doesn't really need a USB port directly connected to the tower.

#3 funnytim

funnytim

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 10 January 2009 - 02:56 AM

Is this a desktop?

So the mouse was working fine before you started using your new monitor?

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 10 January 2009 - 11:21 AM

Have you tried re-installing the mouse drivers?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 kostom

kostom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 10 January 2009 - 06:47 PM

Is this a desktop?

yes it Is a desktop...

#6 Over50

Over50

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 10 January 2009 - 10:51 PM

Is this a desktop?

yes it Is a desktop...

As has been asked, was the mouse working OK prior to hooking up your new monitor?

Beyond this, look in Device Manager | Mice and other pointing devices to see if the mouse is being recognized properly as HID compliant mouse and post back. You could also try installing the Logitech mouseware (free download from Logitech) and see if this corrects the problem - although Windows should be recogizing the mouse w/o any 3rd party software (as is the case with my Logitech MX518 mouse running XP Home).

As for your new monitor showing "plug and play", this tells me you don't have the monitor driver installed. You should have received a driver install disk with it. If not, you should be able to download the monitor model driver from the mfr. website. When the monitor driver is installed you should see verbiage in Display Properties that says "[your monitor model] on [model/name of your video card]" vs "plug and play".

Edited by Over50, 10 January 2009 - 11:22 PM.

CM Cosmos S case, EVGA 750i SLI FTW, 860W PCPC PS,
E8400 w/Zalman 9700 cooler, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB HD
EVGA GTX 260 216 Core SC, X-Fi Fatal1ty Pro Sound Card
CH 568 USB Joystick, Pro Pedals and Yoke, Windows XP Home

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users