Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

how to close ports opened by utorrent

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rjrevers

rjrevers

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 08 January 2009 - 12:21 PM

My son downloaded videos from a website and downloaded utorrent to download them. I'm not very comfortable with p2p transfers and having any ports open for people to get into my pc. I deleted the utorrent program but i want to make sure that any ports it opened are closed up and i'm still not a seed for others to download from. Does anyone know how to make sure all traces of this program are deleted and all ports are closed?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ePost

ePost

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 09 January 2009 - 03:40 AM

Many firewalls can do that for you. There should be a list with programs that is allowed. You can dis-allow these programs from there.

#3 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 09 January 2009 - 11:32 PM

Surf over to GRC and locate the "Shields Up" test.
It will scan your IP address and report the status of your ports.
http://www.grc.com/default.htm
If it says True Stealth or All Ports Closed you can sleep well.
If any are open just post back and we'll help you get 'em closed.

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#4 rjrevers

rjrevers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2009 - 11:44 PM

when i ran check all ports it failed, but when i checked file sharing ports it came back with port 139 does not appear to exist and unable to connect with net bios.On the attemptimg to connect with your computer it is just sitting there with a # 1 on it and it doesnt seem like its gotten a response. am i ok? or is my computer open. i deleted the files that were downloaded, so does that help any or do the ports stay open to grab other files

Edited by rjrevers, 10 January 2009 - 11:45 PM.

#5 rjrevers

rjrevers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2009 - 11:49 PM

When i look at he summary for common ports it doesnt show any ports open? but i did receive ping requests

Edited by rjrevers, 10 January 2009 - 11:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users