Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I want to make sure I'm surfing the best I can.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jaysnzees

jaysnzees

• Members
  • 310 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 08 January 2009 - 12:14 PM

I just want to make sure I'm at an Okay or better level...

I use the latest version of CC Cleaner...I have Webroot Spysweeper, Norton 360, SUPERAntiSpyware in my tray...we have movies & music on our hardrive and I know that bogs things some.

I guess I'm looking for lesser known tips for tweaking performance.

Here is my speed test:
Posted Image
I don't know what it means.

I have Windows XP Professional 5.12600 Service pack 3 Build 2600 on a Dell Dimension E521 desktop.
What is thy bidding? My Master?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bambo

Bambo

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 AM

Posted 08 January 2009 - 01:12 PM

You can have tons of anti-xxx programs installed but be sure only 1 is resident - or if 2 they dont conflict. Why for example Norton recommends to disable Windows Defender and Windows Firewall, think NIS 2009 does this without even asking. There should not be a noticable "hit" in performance due to setup - if so it is wrong :thumbsup: More is not necessarily better.

btw, be careful about those speed tests. A webshield/filter can screw up result, like making it way too slow or too fast. Because of caching/buffering. Well I know at least Avira can do that - Avast never did when I used that. Just saying so you dont "troubleshoot" what cant be fixed should speed not live up to promises. If you want someone to evaluate speed you must state what type of connection and deal you have with ISP - what they say about download/upload speed?, must be able to compare.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users