Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Duplicated Cookies, Continuous Problems

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mrsage

mrsage

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 08 January 2009 - 08:17 AM

Hi all,

This may be a question that has to be directed to MS but I'm hoping that someone may be able to offer some leads.

Forgive me for just copying and pasting most of the information below -- I'm posting this query on a few different boards.

We offer corporate bank account information reporting, mostly reported on via internet banking, and are having a problem with IE duplicating and thereby invalidating the security cookies placed on our server by the banking websites. We're using 2 Dell servers running Server 2K3 v5.2 R2 to report on around 14,000 accounts which consist of approximately 4,000 individual logins per server and are using IE 7.0.5730.13.

In order that the cookies are able to be shared across all users who access our server, our reporting procedures launch all scripts and IE windows as a single, shared, elevated "user." As a result our elevated profile should have around 1K valid cookies at any given time. Across our clients we have different logins for the same banks and online banking platforms.

What we're seeing is duplicated cookies. Instead of a single adminprofile@somebank.txt we have adminprofile@somebank.txt[1], adminprofile@somebank.txt[2], etc. Other variations include adminprofile@www.somebank.txt for the same banking website. As a result we fairly often, for some bank sites daily, have to reregister the servers in order to access the websites. Given the number of sites we access on a daily basis this leads to some considerable delays and extra work for our processors.

Some of our scripts use VB to access and collect the information, some are more simple recorded macros. Both access methods result in the same cookie problems. We've decreased our privacy settings, added the problem websites to our trusted sites/exclusions list, gone over our IE settings painstakingly, tried deleting all cookies and even deleting and recreating the admin profile with no success.

Sorry for the lengthy post, I'm just trying to make sure I cover everything as this is a more unique way to beat up IE. Any suggestions or resources I should consult? If I can provide any further information I'll be glad to do so.

Thanks!

MrSage

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mrsage

mrsage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 20 January 2009 - 01:08 PM

bump