Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Partition question/compression...primary?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 huskersfan1

huskersfan1

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 08 January 2009 - 08:05 AM

If my C: drive has 181 on it, do I need to partition that much to make a ghost copy with Norton Ghost, or does it compress? If so, how much should I partition? Wouldn't it be wise to partition much more than I need (rather than not enough), then shrink it???? Is that correct?

Also, do I make this another primary partition?

Thx.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 PM

Posted 08 January 2009 - 09:05 AM

It depends on the purpose for doing this, how much free and unallocated space is on your drive, and the size of your hard drive. AFAIK, Ghost won't do that automatically - and you'll have to have a place to store the large image before you start running Ghost.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 huskersfan1

huskersfan1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 08 January 2009 - 12:24 PM

That's what I don't understand, I guess. If I'm using 187 GB, and I have 300+gigs free on my C drive,can't I make that free space on C unallocated???

Here is exactly how my partitions read:

Basic 596.17 GB Online

63 MB Health
Recovery (D 15.00 GB NTFS Healthy (Primary...)
OS (C 506.11 GB NTFS Healthy (System, Boot, Page...)
75.00 GB Unallocated

If in fact I can make the space in my C drive unallocated, what kind of partition should this be; primary, active, or logical? Obviously using Ghost I am making an image of my entire C drive, b/c I don't want to lose programs,etc.

Edited by huskersfan1, 08 January 2009 - 12:30 PM.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 PM

Posted 08 January 2009 - 01:11 PM

It depends on how you're going to use Ghost...
Are you just going to make one image and leave it at that?
If not, how many images are you going to store, and how are you going to manage them?
How much room do you want to leave on the C: partition for growth?
How much space do you want to devote to this new partition?
Make it a primary partition.

Most of these things can be done from the Disk Management console in Vista - but you'll have to do it one operation at a time.
Shrink the C: partition, reboot, then make a partition in the unallocated space, then format that partition with the NTFS file system.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users