Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista boot problem

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Robert F

Robert F

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 PM

Posted 08 January 2009 - 06:44 AM

Hi everyone this my first time here reccomended by my son, hope you can help me. We have a Dell 1575 inspiron laptop and just before xmas the following happened.
The laptop was downloading from microsoft and when it complete step three of three it re-booted went into checkdisk completed that tried to go into vista windows then went directly into downloading step three of three anagin and then re-booted etc etc. This is a continuous loop now. I have tried to get it into Safe mode to no avail, i have tried to get it into a previous saved time to no avail and i have tried various other things such as running the program to sort itself out (cant remember the name)
I am at a loss now, i am not the brightest when it comes to computers but get around it quite well.
Can anyone help ?

many thanks in advance

Regards

Robert
:huh:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 08 January 2009 - 09:03 AM

The first thing to try is Startup Repair from the Vista boot disk or the Safe Mode menu (Repair your computer).
If that doesn't fix it, then try a System Restore from within the Startup Repair tool.
Once that's done and you're back in Windows, download and install this update: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937287

From this link: http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsg...amp;m=1&p=1
This post includes a link to the Bleeping Computer Startup Repair tutorial.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Robert F

Robert F
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2009 - 02:19 PM

Hi thanks for the advice i will try again as i have already carried out these two except could not run sys restore. When you say from the boot disk do you mean a separte disk or the laptop itselt.... :huh:

many thanks for your help

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2009 - 03:49 PM

You can run System Restore from within Startup Repair: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/repair-windows-with-windows-startup-repair/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Robert F

Robert F
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2009 - 03:18 PM

OK thanks, I have now tried repairing it rebooting it millions of times, system restore will not work. It will not go into safe mode and i have run diagnostics too. I have tried it from the diosk and the hard drive. It still just goes from checkdisk into downloading three of three then re-boots etc etc etc. The checkdisk does not pick up any problems, the restore thing goes on for a long time then finishes ok but still the same problem. Helppppppppppppppppp.

What do you reccomend ??

thanks again.

robert

#6 Sock Monster

Sock Monster

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 10 January 2009 - 11:23 AM

This is exactly the same problem I described to you, usasma.

#7 Robert F

Robert F
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2009 - 06:10 AM

Hey at least now i know i am not alone, perhaps a call to microsoft will help anyone know who and wher best to contact. Sorry to hear you have the same problem i will let you know if i can fix it.

regards :huh:

#8 Robert F

Robert F
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2009 - 08:49 AM

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/949358

I found this article on this problem which occured previously I am not so sure as to use item three perhaps you can help me (you being everyone)
I suspect this is the only way to go as all else has failed.

Your feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks

Robert :huh:

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2009 - 03:45 PM

Do you meet these criteria?:

Use this method only if the computer has no restore points or if you cannot start your computer at a point where the System Restore feature is available.

And, are you willing to put up with these aftereffects?:

After you use this method, the following conditions may exist until you reinstall Windows:

* An update that is being installed may not be installed correctly.
* Windows Update may not function correctly.
* If an update is being installed, you may be unable to stop the installation process.
* You may be unable to enable and disable certain optional Windows features.
* Certain optional Windows features may not function correctly.
* The computer may be in an unprotected state.

#10 Robert F

Robert F
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2009 - 02:53 AM

I am at a loss as to what to do i need to get some information from my pc so its a good possibility i may be able to retrieve it. if not then as i cant get into it anyway nothing lost. I have looked at other sites and its all the same. i dont think microsoft will take my pc and fix it i doubt it that dell will be interested so what else is there. I cant wait forever for this info. What do you suggest ? should i wait longer in the hope someone will come up with something. i can only think some sort of disk to boot with will be the answer at some point.

thanks for your continuing infomation and help

#11 Robert F

Robert F
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2009 - 05:15 AM

Hi Guys i am sending this from my Vista laptop, after contacting microsoft being passed over hung up on and promised e-mails and return calls i gave up.
So i used the article i posted previously like this.
Go to C:\ prompt if it comes up not in c type this cd c:\windows\winsxs then press enter. Type ren pending.xml pending.old and press enter.
Thats it the laptop started when i re-booted and all working ok. The only thing is it still goes into chkdisk when it starts but i just cancel that. If anyone can tell me how to stop that all will be good.
I am getting onto microsoft on monday to put in a BIG complaint.

good luck guys if you use the above i hope it works for you but of course no gurantees from me.

best regards

#12 Bugler

Bugler

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 17 January 2009 - 11:30 AM

I had the same problem... ended up having to reload Vista. I had several people look at it but no one could fix it. It even sounds like the same download that I had.

Bugler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users