Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

My AdAware has disappeared!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 08 January 2009 - 02:19 AM

I recently purchased a "free" copy of AdAware 2008 Free through the TrialPay service, which allows you to download the product if you agree to buy a product from one of AdAware's sponsors. I did so, and the transaction eventually went through on my pre-paid debit card.

I did 3 system restores this weekend, trying to recover my mailbox and repair my microsoft download function. While I did recover a little antivirus removal information, I lost AdAware when I restored to a very recent date after its download. My downloads are working a bit better from microsoft, but I have to be in hibernate or standby mode for it to work, or hit "turn off without updating", and there are 2 from MS which I still cannot download. I have been avoiding getting in touch with my ISP, but as their disc is now outdated, their site informs me, I will have to do so.

And yes, I have been doing scares with Spybot, Malware-bytes, Antivir, etc. Not all at the same time, and with them disabled while doing the scans. According to the Lavasoft site, the Spybot incompatibility is a minor one, just having something to do with the logs, and shouldn't create a real problem.

At some point I will have to break down and do a real Hijack this log, which seems to be a daunting task, as I have difficulty following directions and concentrating. But I was hoping to do some clean-up before posting for a major help project. I do try to use Secunia, but find it does not provide enough information for clean-up and prevention in the warnings logs, both advanced and default.

Any assistance would be appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2009 - 11:25 AM

Please REBOOT the computer and UPDATE mbam. Run a FULL scan and post back with the results for review
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 10 January 2009 - 02:51 PM

I can say that none of my virus or spam security programs have detected anything since January 1, I believe, and I have been having problems off and on since mid-October, peaking on November 5, levelling Noff for a while, and then I was having problems using my stored e-mail box and then with my log-in to it being accepted. I had changed that password a couple times, and it is accepted for my webmail. The major windows download problem I have is with that notorious security patch that requires the difficult workaround. Some of my other computer performance problems are similar to those mentioned by other folks posting at BC, though none of their cases have been a match, and my programs haven't detected the same clusters of malware.

Here is my log, which I did this morning:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.32
Database version: 1638
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

1/10/2009 11:18:18 AM
mbam-log-2009-01-10 (11-18-18).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|D:\|E:\|F:\|G:\|H:\|I:\|)
Objects scanned: 125557
Time elapsed: 1 hour(s), 12 minute(s), 57 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 10 January 2009 - 06:59 PM

Your log's fine
Which security patch are you referring to? There's more than one
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 13 January 2009 - 08:52 PM

The two security patches (one is new) that I have had problems getting installed:
Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 1 KB110806 (x86)

.NET Framework, Version 1.1, Service Pack 1 KB928366

I did receive a security download that was properly installed: ActiveX Killbits for Windows XP KB956391

I will search for the tutorials here to see how to get those 2 installed. They have downloaded numerous times, but that is as far as they get. I have tried researching the second one on the Microsoft support forum, wasn't really sure how to do what they suggested. Sometimes I will go to bed, and the computer is still on in the morning, apparently trying to initialize the security patches after downloading repeatedly.

Edited by fuzzywuzzy6, 13 January 2009 - 08:53 PM.

#6 Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 02 February 2009 - 12:13 PM

I think that my Ad Aware disappeared for benign reasons, involving system restore, Spybot S&D, and the way in which Green Dot applied the Trial Pay payments. Seems that there are now superior products available (superantispyware and spywareblaster), so I downloaded them and uninstalled Spybot.

Edited by fuzzywuzzy6, 02 February 2009 - 12:14 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users