Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer would not boot up after adding RAM

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 kennewickman

kennewickman

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 08 January 2009 - 01:49 AM

Computer would not boot up after adding RAM

Initial configuration:
Motherboard ABIT KN8 SLI NF4 SLI RT
Video Card ASUS N 73000S EN7300GS/HTD/256
CPU AMDIA64 3000+ 1.8G 939pin 512K R
Memory 512Mx2 Kingston KVR400X64C3AK2/1g
Hard Disk 250G Western Digital 7K 16M SATA WD2500YD
DVD Burner Pioneer DVR-111 D Black
BIOS set to Optimized Defaults.

As stated above, the computer was initially configured with 1 gb of matched pair of Kingston 512 mb memory sticks. After adding a second set of Kingston matched pair 512 mb RAM memory sticks, the computer would not boot up.

It had the following symptoms:

Symptom set #1 No indication of POST, Motherboard LED lights lit-up, Fans for CPU, power supply and tower started normally, green LED power light lit-up, orange HD LED lit-up for about a second and went out, no POST beep, however after about 2 second the tower starts continuously beeping in about 2 second intervals. No start up indications from monitor, keyboard or mouse. No discernable sound or LED indication that HD was running.

I removed the second set of memory sticks, but again got Symptom set #1. I have tried resetting the BIOS, but again got Symptom set #1. I then tried several variations of memory installation that always result Symptom set #1.

Finally, I tried installing the second set of memory sticks in bank 2, leaving bank 1 empty. Now I get the following symptoms:

Symptom set #2 Computer starts to boot up normally but regularly crashes. Have performed memory diagnostics STRIDE -6 failures. Note: Prior to adding the second set of memory sticks, memory diagnostics tests did not identify any problems.

Is this a hardware problem, or could it be a faulty BIOS? Im hesitant about updating the BIOS I dont want to make things worse.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 08 January 2009 - 09:34 AM

Did you unplug the computer from the wall before installing the memory?
Did you ground yourself (to prevent static discharge) prior to going inside the case?

Most likely this is bad memory - but you'll have to test with memory that's good to see if that's the case.
If it's not bad memory, then it's likely that it's a problem with your motherboard.

Put 1 good stick (from a known bootable system) in and attempt to boot.

- If it boots, run the Memory Test. If the memory test fails, then it's likely that the motherboard is bad - but you'll have to replace the stick into the good system to verify this.
- If it doesn't boot, remove the stick and put back in the computer that it came from. If that fails, then the stick has been corrupted.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users