Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Computer Vista Ultimate Blue Screens often, but different error each time!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bort900

bort900

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 PM

Posted 08 January 2009 - 01:07 AM

ok. so i bought a new computer from my local retailer and got it home and was happy as a clown. i then decided to put vista ultimate on it, so i did so, worked great for a day or so, then it blue screened with an error i was unable to memorize, (ill search through my logs and try and find them all) its a brand new quad core computer that has a "made for vista" logo. i discovered that it does it when the system is under high disk or memory access usage. so, to see if i was right, i ran a burn-in-test, and it did throw errors in memory verification and video memory (but did not blue screen during the test) MSI board, 500GB HD intel q8200 onboard nVidia Graphics 4gb ram. i googled the errors (when i remembered them, i have a terrible memory) and a lot of them pointed to somthing with either drivers or memory, so yea. any ideas of what to do whould be greatly appriciated. i might try just reinstalling, but pleae let me know. thanks!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 08 January 2009 - 01:14 AM

Have you run a memory diagnostic? If not, leave Memtest running for several hours, preferably overnight, to see if the RAM is corrupt. If it is corrupt, call the maker of your PC and have them RMA some new RAM to you. If your RAM is corrupt, or if there is a hardware fault, reinstalling Vista will not solve your problem.

3939.png

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 08 January 2009 - 08:41 AM

Here's a link on how to find more info about the BSOD errors: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/top...tml#entry409491
And here's a link on how to analyze the memory dump contents: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/176011/how-to-receive-help-diagnosing-blue-screens-and-windows-crashes/

But first, I'd suggest downloading this free memory test ( http://www.memtest86.com/ ). Read the instructions carefully to make a bootable CD, then boot from it when starting your system. Let the test run for a minimum of 3 passes (overnight is better). If it starts throwing errors, shut down the test and post back here.

If you don't get errors, then we'll have to wonder about the motherboard (since you've got built in graphics).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Bambo

Bambo

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 08 January 2009 - 08:35 PM

Memtest86 must always pass but if for example your bios has slightly wrong settings for ram module it is possible for Memtest86 to pass - and yet you keep getting mystery BSODs. You can google and debug all you like, wont help because real problem lies elsewhere.

So also use Prime95 http://mersenne.org/freesoft/ Unpack zip-file, start it up, options, torture test, pick "Blend" test. Let it run for some hours, like with Memtest86.

I recently had simular problem using 4x1gb pc6400 modules. Chipset can easily handle that, just not with my ram, not at that speed. Had to lower 1 notch - as was recommended by ram maker but why listen, heh. And bye to countless BSOD pointing finger at IE, AV and lots of other innocent programs. Memtest86 always passed.

This is why those who overclock use Prime95 (or should), memtest86 is really very basic. As are the one build into Vista. They dont catch tiny errors, dont push motherboard/ram like P95. Vista sometimes does and then booom.

Look up ram, doublecheck voltage and memory timings - sometimes a bios upgrade is needed for compatibility with specific brands/models. Dont know your bios but any auto-tuning/tweaking of memory should be disabled as well. Some software can do same tweaking in Vista.

Might be a good idea to run sfc /scannow - actually it always returned "corrupted files found" until i used the "correct" settings. After that all is healthy. I almost think files got corrupted during the scan :huh:

Edited by Bambo, 08 January 2009 - 08:42 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users