Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SATA or IDE optical drives

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ENRICO_49

ENRICO_49

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 08 January 2009 - 01:05 AM

Hello everybody: I need an answer to the following problem.

I have a Gateway 835GM PC
XP Pro media center
Pentium 820 D Processor
Intel [Big Lake] 945G Motherboard

I just ordered two new optical drives for my PC from Newegg. I believe I might have ordered the wrong type of drives.

Lite-On iHAS120-08 SATA
ASUS DRW-20B1ST SATA

I need to know the following: I haven't received the order yet. Should I try and cancel, or if received, return the drives for IDE units.
Or is there a way to install the SATA drives in my PC without any major problems.

I was told my PC can use either type of drive. However, looking inside the case after the fact, I see my present drives are connected by IDE cable.
Is there an adapter available that I could use, or would it just be easier to return the SATA drives and order IDE compatible drives.

I would appreciate an answer on what would be the best way to proceed.

Once again, hello everybody. I await your advise.

Thank you,

Enrico_49

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Hawkeye4

Hawkeye4

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 08 January 2009 - 02:34 AM

Looks like you can go either way really.

Four Serial ATA interfaces
One Parallel ATA IDE interface with UDMA 33, ATA-66/100 support

You've got 4 SATA slots for either HD's or Cd-roms and highly doubt you have 4 HD's in there. You probably have the current cd-roms (dvd ones possibly) on the IDE cables, but you can move them over to SATA as well.

And they'll be faster too. :thumbsup:

Assuming you have the following MB in there:

Your motherboard?

#3 Hawkeye4

Hawkeye4

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 11 January 2009 - 02:43 AM

Did it answer your question?

0 user(s) are reading this topic