Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sufficient Protection?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ccmetz

ccmetz

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 07 January 2009 - 11:21 PM

Hey everyone, I was wondering if having these programs would give me good enough protection against viruses and malware:

Norton Antivirus
SuperAntiSpyware
MBAM
Using Mozilla Firefox instead of Internet Explorer

Also, if I download Mozilla Firefox, do I need to delete internet explorer for it to decrease my risk of getting viruses or is just not using it fine?

Thanks for the replies!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,313 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 08 January 2009 - 01:00 PM

Hello,is this an XP system? I would add Spywareblaster by Javacool.
What firewall is running?
You will need IE for Windows Updates and keep them Updated.
Firefox is a safer browser,so use that.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 ePost

ePost

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 09 January 2009 - 03:37 AM

I assume that SAS and MBAM are freeware versions? Because they should be. You can only have one anti-virus program with realtime protection and only one anti-spyware program with realtime protection and in this case Norton Antivirus has both of them.

However your firewall is not very safe if it's the build in one from Microsoft you use. There is no firewall in Norton Antivirus, isn't that so? I'm a bit unsure if I remember it correctly...

Edited by ePost, 09 January 2009 - 03:37 AM.

#4 Bambo

Bambo

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 09 January 2009 - 02:16 PM

Ive never heard of Windows Firewall not being safe. Vista version even has outbound capabilities - but there is a reason it is hard to set up. 2 way firewall does not necessarily offer any more protection if not set up correctly. I think MS originally planned to have outbound enabled per default but due to usergroup tests they decided not to. People cant be bothered with notifications and end up clicking left and right, something like that. May be they just could not figure out how to mix high usability with high security, management became too complicated. Well, if curious or suffering from paranoia you will need the extra layer of outbound check to see what connections goes out to the big internet. But not a must or grantee for safety.

If I used a lot of cracks and that type of software I would most likely see the point in "better/safer" firewall. Need depends on use.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users