Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ASUS A7V8X MZ SE, AMD 2500 and 3200 processors

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Danford1

Danford1

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 07 January 2009 - 11:00 PM

I have an ASUS A7V8X MX SE board and AMD 2500 processor, stock heat sink and fan.
My MB specs are here. http://dlsvr.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/so...7v8x-mx_se.pdf
It says I can use up to a AMD Athylon 3200.
Can I simply unplug my 2500 chip and plug in a 3200 chip?
Do I have to do any set up or tweaks to the bios or anything?
Is this as simple as it sounds , unplug and plug in another one?

Thanks.
Danford1

PS I thought of overclocking the 2500, but never did it. In the future, I may over clock the 3200 if my MB can take it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 11:15 PM

Yes it is that simple if.......................your motherboard BIOS supports it, and your memory can run fast enough to support it(or it can run a 200FSB with the RAM at current speed). If you already have RAM at 200mhz then that is one less worry. You might have to go into BIOS and tweak multipliers, voltage, and memory dividers depending on whether the CPU is autodetected properly. Not a big job.

EDIT: Don't crush/chip the core when attaching your heatsink. That is an Athlon killer.

Edited by dpunisher, 07 January 2009 - 11:16 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 Danford1

Danford1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2009 - 10:38 AM

Yes it is that simple if.......................your motherboard BIOS supports it, and your memory can run fast enough to support it(or it can run a 200FSB with the RAM at current speed). If you already have RAM at 200mhz then that is one less worry. You might have to go into BIOS and tweak multipliers, voltage, and memory dividers depending on whether the CPU is autodetected properly. Not a big job.

EDIT: Don't crush/chip the core when attaching your heatsink. That is an Athlon killer.

Here are the MB specs. It has dip switches for the chip speed. I don't know what the ram speed is running at.
Where do I look to find out?

Attached Files

Edited by Danford1, 08 January 2009 - 11:22 AM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 PM

Posted 08 January 2009 - 11:32 AM

Just to add to what dpunisher has suggested, you should also clean the surface of the heat sink and apply thermal compound to the heat spreader of the CPU. All it takes is a drop about the size of a grain of rice, spread it out uniformly and reconnect the heat sink.

You can download CPUID to see what the information of your RAM and CPU.

Edit: You added to your post just before I posted the above, the CPUID will show the RAM speed.

Edited by dc3, 08 January 2009 - 11:33 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Danford1

Danford1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2009 - 11:23 PM

Just to add to what dpunisher has suggested, you should also clean the surface of the heat sink and apply thermal compound to the heat spreader of the CPU. All it takes is a drop about the size of a grain of rice, spread it out uniformly and reconnect the heat sink.

You can download CPUID to see what the information of your RAM and CPU.

Edit: You added to your post just before I posted the above, the CPUID will show the RAM speed.

I ran the CPUID program. i have 166 memory speed.
Here is all the info it gave me.

Attached Files

• Attached File  cpuz.txt   33.21KB   28 downloads
  • Attached File  cpuz.htm   10.19KB   10 downloads

#6 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2009 - 11:57 PM

Where did you find the info about Athlon 3200 support? I just looked at the "CPU Support" page and I don't see support for 200 fsb (listed as 400 FSB) CPUs.

http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupp...%20SE&os=17

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#7 Danford1

Danford1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2009 - 11:41 AM

I have two attachments in a post above. One is a chart. The 3200 is listed in the first box.
I got that info from the user manual for the board.

Danford1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users